"If I'm so wrong, can you please kill me?" She questioned softly, voice almost a whisper. He tilted his head to the side.

"Kill you, darling? Why, I'd kill myself," he replied. "If it is wrong to think you beautiful, then I am the greatest sinner of them all." Their eyes linked tightly together as if bound by rope. They forgot the war outside. They forgot the bloodshed following their feet.

But could you love me, if you knew what I was? Mykel asked himself.

And could you love me, if you knew what I was all along? Rannia asked herself.

Both thought their answers to be no.

No, I would not love you.

"Rannia, I--" His words were cut short as a nearby blast sent them rolling to the ground. They fell together, the girl tangled in the monster's arms. He skidded to a stop against the wall, landing a hard blow to his shoulder.

"Fuck," he grunted, squinting and blinking to try and see through the dust. Rannia coughed into his chest, clutching his lapel and waving at the air around her face. He held her close and got to standing. "It's not safe here, there's an intruder. We don't have time to get out the nearest exit--"

"Where's your family?" The girl questioned suddenly, breaking off Mykel's sentence.

"They're heading to a saferoom underground, in the basement." He cast a glance over his shoulder as if checking to see if Garcia had appeared.

Fool, his brother's murderer was right in front of him.

"Then we should go there," Rannia urged, pushing him slightly forward. He hesitated, looking down at her with a lost expression.

"And what? Wait it out there until the police arrive and we have to explain who we are and what we're doing here? You're a smart girl, answer that one for yourself." He shook his head, features dark. The darkness from inside his soul was leaking into his skin, making even Rannia's skin prickle as she touched his cool forearm.

"You're...you're all cold," she muttered.

He looked down, brows pulled together. "I feel fine."

She pulled her hand away from his cold skin and looked out the open bathroom door. Outside, the hallway leading back to the main gala was mainly untouched. A few cracks were spread through the walls, but their escape would be safe as long as another bomb didn't go off.

"I know what we have to do," Mykel said suddenly from behind her.

"What?"

"I want you to go to the saferoom. There's these small arrows carved into the walls of this place, not visible if you're not looking for them. They'll point you in the direction of the basement. When you get there, close the door."

Rannia's brows pulled together. Her gut lurched when she realized what he was suggesting. "You're coming with me you dumb fucking--"

"No," Mykel grit out firmly. He grabbed her arm from behind. His cool skin made Rannia's breath catch, and when she peeked back to look at him, his pupils seemed darker than normal. "I'm going to find this Garcia, and then I am going to kill them for all the goddamn harm they've caused my work."

And not your family? Mykel... Rannia's eyes softened a little.

"My priority is you, Rannia."

The way he was looking at her made her chest sob. Her eyes remained dry, and her lips unwavering, but her fingers did wind themselves around his hand.

You're making me want to betray my father, you idiot, she wanted to scream at him. The words laid at the tip of her tongue, burning like citric acid. And she bit down, she kept the pain. Silence was the secret killer.

"Fine, I'll go without you," Rannia spat out reluctantly. She threw his touch off of her, not able to bear the feelings it arose. "Just don't die, you brat."

She could kill them all except him, right? Surely that'd work.

But he was the current heir.

She imagined the flash of breaking pain that would slice through Mykel's eyes if he found out who she was. It made her chest tighten and her lungs gasp for air. Without another word, she ran away from him. Like a fucking coward. Tears started to line her eyes as she ran, not needing to look for the etched arrows in the walls; of course she'd completely memorized the entire layout of the building, Lord knew what would happen if anything but herself got in the way of her mission.

Sarcasm, it's for when you're hurting, isn't it?

"Nia, I know you're frustrated, but taking it out on me or your mom isn't going to help anyone," her dad would say, a look of disappointment falling over his features. Rannia would freeze in her rampage, chest falling up and down rapidly as her fist slowly unraveled and dropped whatever item she'd been using to break things. Glasses, plates, tables. Whatever her fury would burn itself on.

"Oh, like I care," she'd snap back, or something of the sort.

"You're angry, but sarcasm is for when you're hurting. Let the tears run, my precious girl. Holding them in is what's hurting you."

And her father's face? What it would look like if he found out she'd chosen his rival's son over their family's revenge? It would be worse than that, worse than whatever face he'd given her before.

The sight her mind created was fleeting for a moment, and though it was a flash, it made her stumble and she fell to her knees on the floor. The entire gala was empty by now. Most people had found their way out. She listened with hollow ears as the sound of her knees falling to the ground echoed through her ears, again and again, again and again.

She may have been a fucking masochist but this was too much.

The pain will stop when your tears run cold.

Really, dad, is that how it works?

She stood, legs wobbly, resolve undetermined. She was falling apart at the seams, and all an outsider would see would be a pretty girl in a pretty dress, covered prettily in dust with pretty little tears running down her pretty cheeks.

Maybe if the tears don't work, blood will have to do.

You said you'd die for me, Mykel?

And so love me one last time.

Then, lurking in the back of her mind as she hid that little girl deep inside her head and let Garcia rise to the surface, she heard something. Muffled as it was, the voice spoke:

Rannia, is lying all you ever do?

(a/n: i meant to post this last night but forgot. oops. it's not perfect or edited. i'm literally posting this while doing my leftover french homework from two weeks ago ://)

Morphine (Complete)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें