𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡

[ Chapter Eight ]

A Hunter's Confusion

Preston had planned on not enrolling in the high school. There was nothing or no one that could convince her otherwise.

She looked at her phone, hovering over the contact list. Maybe she was a fool for thinking she deserved any of this. Maybe that's why she left her brothers so quickly, because if she had stayed around any longer, she would have seen the crystal clear truth. She was a Winchester, they didn't get happiness.

Preston looked out the window due to instinct and she saw Anna and who she assumed was Anna's mother. She quietly walked down the stairs to see Damon with his back towards her. She kept behind the wall so she was not seen, even though it was probably pointless. Which it was, considering Damon gestured for her to come out.

"Hello, Damon. And..." "Preston." Anna quickly replied to her mother. "Ever hear of knocking?" Damon questioned.

"An invitation wasn't necessary. I'm surprised no living person resides here. Is it just you and your brother?" She asked, still confused at the girl.

Damon answered, "Preston lives here too. After her brothers kinda left her."

Why did it still hurt her?

"Since Preston doesn't have a signature on papers or anything, how do you keep out unwelcome vampires?" Anna wondered.

"Kill them." Damon sped up to the mother, wrapping his hand around her neck. The woman slowly took his hand, and started twisting it. "Have a seat, Damon, Preston."

The Winchester moved to sit on the couch, along with Damon.

"I was hoping we could have a word." Damon agreed.

The woman- who Preston found out her name was Pearl- sat down, and started talking, "We've taken up residence at a farmhouse outside of town. It'll suffice for now."

"All 25 vampires?" Damon questioned. "Not all, some. I imagine that a few have already left town. Others are probably still in the woods, or like us, acclimating."

Preston's mind started to wander back to her brothers. They just left her, they didn't even try to convince her or anything.

"I think the witch screwed up that part of her hocus-pocus."

"I understand that the founding families still have a secret council?" "And you're a part of it." Anna said.

"Pft. That's ridiculous."

"I've been in Mystic Falls since the comet. I'm up to speed." Once again, Preston zoned out.

She focused on the rips on her colour-faded jeans. Or at least, Preston acted as if she was zoned out. It was a trick she had learned to do in interrogations. "That was 1864. Wake up, woman. The world has moved on."

"As a reward for your help, I'm willing to give you what you want most."

Damon scoffed, "I want nothing-" "Katherine."

Damon and Preston seemed shocked at this, "You wouldn't even know where she was. You've been underground for a century and a half." Damon remarked.

"Katherine and I were best friends long before we came to Mystic Falls, Damon. I know how she thinks, I know her patterns, I know where to find her."

Damon leaned forward, "I no longer have any desire to see Katherine ever again. And there's no way in hell Preston or I am ever gonna play the role of your little minions." Damon went to get up, but Pearl got to him faster, pushing him back onto the couch as she continued to stand.

"I'm not asking for your help, Damon. Finding Katherine was just a mere gesture of kindness. The rest is non negotiable." Preston watched as Damon dropped to the ground in pain as she just watched.

"Preston, follow me." She followed her, eager to see what she wanted of her.

Once they were out of earshot of Damon, outside, Pearl turned to her, "What is your last name?" "Winchester-" "Your mother's maiden name?" Pearl rephrased.

Preston furrowed her brows at this, why did she want to know my mom's maiden name? "Campbell. Mary Campbell." Pearl looked at her daughter, then back at Preston.

"You're a hunter." Pearl said, making her nod.

She just hummed as she walked off, leaving Anna and Preston. Soon, Anna had walked off too, only leaving Preston who stood there confused.

Why did everyone seem to want to know her last name, and now her mother's name?

Everything was changing, and she knew that. But she still felt the need to dig deeper into why all of this was happening.

Preston is bby and needs to be protected.

I love you all!

Okay, bye!