Chapter 60

Peters eyes stared into mine, still holding that intense look of vulnerability. Slowly he broke the eye contact and looked over to Henry, still holding his pink beating heart. At this sight Peters face formed into one of anger and determination as he took Henry's heart in his hand. My own heart sank at what was to come. I was stupid to think this would work. To think that Peter would actually take my heart. He would rather me do it myself then for him to be the one to take my life. Then with one last snarl of anger Peter shoved Henry's heart back into his chest.
"TAKE YOUR STUPID BOY AND GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE I CHANGE MY MIND!!!"
Peter demanded to Henry's family. Snow and Emma already had Henry in a tight embrace. They quickly began to pull Henry along with them out of the cave, David walking backwards the whole way out, keeping his eyes on Peter to make sure it weren't come kind of game that he was playing with them. I felt so much relief as they all found there way out of the cave, like A giant weight had been lifted off of me. But I would be lying if I said that I didn't feel a new kind of heartbreak at this decision as well. Knowing that someone I literally had no choice but to love chose to take my life over losing his power. Don't get me wrong this is exactly what I was hoping he would choose. I knew he wouldn't give up his power and Henry had so much more to live for than I.
Seconds of silence went by that felt like centuries, the only sound to be heard was Peters shallow breathing.
I use to live wearing a mask of bravery, so often that it was to the point where it seemed to morph into my own face. Always pretending to be okay. Acting as if nothing could ever hurt me. I haven't worn that mask in so long now. Not around Peter. But here I was, putting on that brave face once again and bracing myself to look up into Peters eyes with a look that tells him that I'm not hurt, a look that shows how content I am with his decision, a look that lies. I let out one final sigh before pulling my eyes away from the stone floor of the cave and looking up onto the face of my greatest weakness. Peter wouldn't let his eyes meet with mine for more than a fraction of a second before he would quickly avert them somewhere else. I sighed and began taking a few steps toward him.
I mustered up the best soothing and relaxed tone I could manage before speaking to him.
"It's okay Peter. You can look at me. I'm not angry with you, this is the choice I wanted you to make"
Lies. I was angry. I was angry at life, I was angry at myself for allowing myself to be put in this position in the first place, and I was angry at him more than anything. Why couldn't he just give up power for me?! Why couldn't he love me enough to truly do absolutely anything for me, like he so often claimed he would. I shouldn't feel this hurt right now because I knew all along that having power meant more to Peter than anything else, but I never thought we would actually be in a situation where he would have to chose between the two so I let myself push the though away.
Peter still refused to look up at me, keeping his eyes locked on the floor.
I tried my best to sound un-phased as I spoke
"C'Mon Peter, please. Let's just get this over with."
Suddenly Peter jerked his head up to look at me, his eyebrows creased together.
"What?" Peter said in complete befuddlement, but the knowing look in his eyes, that also looked somewhat like anger, told me he knew exactly what I was talking about, so I just continued to stare at him through my mask.
"You think I chose to take your heart?" The intensity he put in his words sent chills to my very core. "Jennifer Rose, Iv told you a thousand time and I will tell you once more." he took a step towards me with each word. I swallowed down my nervousness, not knowing where he was going with this. I couldn't let myself get my hopes up. Peter is always playing some kind of game. Once Peter was standing close enough to me that I could feel his breath fanning over my face, he reached his hand out and gently caressed my face, using the leverage he gained to tilt my head up, forcing me to look in his eyes. "I. will. never. hurt. you." Petter closed what little space we had left between us with a kiss that sent chills all over me. It took me a minute to get my mind wrapped around all that just happened. When I finally snapped out of it I threw my arms around Peters neck, pulling him closer to me if possible, and kissed him with all of the emotions that had been built up in me from the moment I had parted from him.
Peter slowly tilted his head back so our lips were no longer connected but our bodies were still just as close with no room even for air in between. He delicately strolled my cheek win his thumb tilting my head up once more to look into his eyes, that were burning with intensity and assurance.
"I love you Jen."