29: Returning Home

Start from the beginning

It gradually accelerated as it shot forward at an angle, the inclination causing the passengers to lean backwards and clutch at the seat for some support. Naruto aimed for a gap between clouds -- otherwise, they would all be wet and cold. He decided that he would incorporate a capsule in some way or another to separate the interior from the external elements when he planned the next design.

He flew through the gap, using wind to deflect clumps of water that could not be safely avoided.

At this altitude, the Suna group finally realised why Naruto told them to wrap themselves up.

Noticing the air pressure start to drop, Sōjirō created an air pocket around the aircraft.

Naruto only felt the change when the pressure was forcibly raised by the other "pilot". Honestly, other than during takeoff, he could take control of the aeroplane on his own. Even then, he only needed help to maintain the stability of the flight path. If not, the turbulent journey would probably cause the eight humans to vomit in midair.

Above the clouds, Naruto cruised peacefully for another hour at a high constant velocity that could not be detected by the passengers within the comfort of the wind capsule.

During this process, Naruto thought it might be a good idea to incorporate such seals in the design of the next plane. It not only reduced air resistance but also overcame the issue of a lack of cover from incoming rain and winds. At the same time, it maintained air pressure at a liveable range so that the passengers would not die from asphyxiation.

"It should be about here?" Naruto mused aloud.

With no other sign, he tilted the aircraft downwards and accelerated towards the earth.

Sakura squawked in surprise, "'Ruto!"

Unfortunately, he did not hear her cry.

She repeated herself telepathically, scowling at the blond two rows ahead of her.

"'Ruto! Doing things like that can give people a cardiac arrest!"

Naruto did not respond immediately, practically cackling as he relished in the thrill of the moment.

The trajectory changed abruptly once again as the treetops came into view, the forests of Hi no Kuni speeding toward their sights as the vehicle continued its downward path. It felt completely reckless to the passengers -- their pilot had no sense of measure whatsoever. Not only was the journey jerky and unpleasant but also absurdly fast and with sudden dives that made them feel like their hearts might stop beating in the very next second.

The aircraft decelerated further as it rapidly approached the visible landmark of the Hokage Monument that rose above the canopy.

It swept over Konohagakure no Sato, landing neatly in front of the gates.

"And we're here! You didn't have to worry, 'Kura. I took into account the physical fitness of those on board. Even Kankuro, who is the worst-off in that aspect, would not be too unwell with the precautions that I have taken," Naruto exclaimed cheerfully, totally unfazed by the bumpy ride.

As they alighted on wobbly legs and staggered towards the gate, Kakashi (playing it cool) asked out of nowhere, "Sōjirō-san, would you teach him?"

Puzzled, Sōjirō turned to look Kakashi in the eyes.

"Who?" Sōjirō asked blankly.

The question came without warning but the firm, determined light in the dark grey eyes of the silver-haired jōnin made it clear that he was not joking around.