[book 2] chapter thirty-three: alex and i share a secret

Start from the beginning

"Of course you are," I murmured. I was expecting Vanessa to scold me, but her attention was focused on Leila's hand, which was wrapped around Niko's arm.

"Easy, Daniella," Niko said in a chastising tone.

"Yeah, Daniella," Leila added with a smirk, tightening her grip on his arm.

"Okay, how about we keep our hands to ourselves?" Niko gently unwrapped her fingers and scooted away from her, much to his fiancée's approval. Leila folded her arms across her chest and glared at me, probably thinking this was somehow my fault. If she went after single men maybe she wouldn't keep facing rejection.

"The bachelorette party isn't going to be the night before the wedding," Vanessa suddenly said.

Both, Niko and myself, looked at her confusedly. I thought bachelor/bachelorette parties were just about the dumbest thing, but if they were going to do it then they should do it right. 

"Why not?" Niko asked.

"Leila has finals that week," she answered.

"When are you doing it?" he continued.

"The same night as you," Vanessa answered with a grin. "We've been in touch with your planner," she further explained after seeing the look on Niko's face.

"How do you know more about my bachelor party than I do?" he muttered.

Vanessa laughed as she stood up. "I have to go to the girl's room. Leila, come with me."

"Do I have to?" her stepsister answered in a bored tone. Vanessa gave her a dirty look and she begrudgingly stood up. "Fine, I'm coming."

Once the stepsisters were out of sight, Niko let out a sigh. "Leila's an interesting character."

I refilled my glass of water. "Now you know why I try to keep James as far away from her as possible."

~*~

"Want to come in?" I offered Niko as he pulled into the driveway.

"Is Mom home?"

"She will be soon."

"Then hell no."

I unbuckled my seatbelt and turned to him. "I overheard your phone call with her."

Niko sighed. "I don't get why she won't let me do what I want. My whole life I've done exactly what she wanted, and she's still treating me like a baby who doesn't know anything."

I tried to meddle and dictate my big brother's life earlier this summer when he announced his marriage plans, and I had learned it wasn't my place to interfere. "I can try talking to her."

His lips curved up into a half-smile. "I doubt it'll help much but I love you for offering."

"She'll come around," I promised him.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Just trust me."

Niko was, by far, our mom's favourite and I knew there was no chance in hell she'd risk ruining their relationship. Yes, she was pissed right now, but when she eventually cooled down, she would support his school decision.

"I don't remember you being this wise, Little D."

I rolled my eyes at his nickname. "You stopped calling me that after I got my first period."

He reached over and ruffled my hair affectionately. "Stop growing up so fast, I can't keep up."

"Coming from you," I retorted. "I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bunch of mini versions of you in a few years."