Chapter Seventy-Three: Am I Your Enemy?

Magsimula sa umpisa

But then... it wasn't like my life was exactly spared. He was just postponing it. I fear for his plans, only on the occasion that it would affect anyone else. If it was to hurt me, I would understand. If it was to kill me, I wouldn't be surprised.

At least, I have asked for forgiveness, right?

"Mukhang ang lalim ng iniisip mo, Finn."

Kaagad akong napabaling sa gilid nang makita ang mukha ni Sapphire. A welcoming smile was present in her mouth, which is actually a bit heartwarming after not talking to them for hours. Or days. Hindi ko na talaga alam ang concept of time sa game na ito.

Sapphire studied my face for a few moments before falling to a chuckle. Kumunot ang noo ko sa naging reaksiyon niya.

"I'm sorry." she waved her hands dismissively. "Napaka-obvious lang kasi ng 'you're talking to me' face mo."

Oh. Well, it sure poses questions.

Their silent and distant behaviors earlier wouldn't make me believe that they'd talk to me this sooner. Akala ko ay buong game sila magagalit.

I am a murderer and a traitor to everyone's eyes, after all.

"'s strange." sagot ko.

"I would admit it is." Sapphire sighed, clasping both her hands behind. "Hindi ka namin inapproach no'ng nasa pinaka-ilalim ka. Hindi ka rin naman kinausap. When you were being attacked by everyone, we didn't do anything to help."

Iniwas ko ang tingin. It's- It's not something that I'd say I forget easily, because the memory of being hated is fresh on my mind, pero hindi ko rin naman hahayaan na maimpluwensiyahan ako no'n.

The public hatred wasn't painful, it was being the only one to bear the weight of it that is.

"I- We- We're really sorry, Finn. We were too much of a coward to help you. Theo wanted to, he was so adamant about defending you, but I stopped him. It was my fault. Natakot ako na baka- na baka madamay ang buong alyansa dahil sa pagtulong niya sa'yo." Sapphire admitted. "Marcella and June's influence was fucking huge, and Kairo was also silent. If they ever have a chance to attack in the next games, mapapahamak ang buong alyansa natin."

I knew that. Back then, I could see it. The eyes of the people who kept silent had fear and avoidance. Their silence was bought by the noises of others. In the face of two monster alliances, who wouldn't think twice about cutting a life, who would be brave enough to stand against?

"Marcella wants to talk to you, Sparrow."

Dumako ang mata ko kay Wes na walang-hesitasyong lumapit sa banda ko. The player's eyes were trained on him, issues moving from one chismosa to the next.

Well, I guess, this man is brave enough.

"There are a lot of uncertainties about finding the mark, especially on one-on-one inspections. So unless everyone agrees to show themselves publicly, there is no certainty to things. We're going back to the prior plan, pero gusto niyang malaman kung may suhestiyon ka."

Those uncertainties goes by the names of Kairo and Wes.

"Kung gano'n, sa susunod na lang tayo mag-usap, Finn. You've got a lot of work to do pa." Sapphire said, smiling apologetically. "I know forgiveness wouldn't come easy, but we're willing to wait."