The First Message

Start from the beginning

That night, she was home a quarter to midnight. 

***

When Nova arrived back at Potter Manor, she found that it was silent. Most of all the occupants were asleep. 

Except Harry. He was waiting for Nova. He always did ever since they were reunited. He hated going to sleep without her there and hated waking up without her. It reminded him of the time on the run. It reminded him of when all he wanted to do was have her by his side. 

Nova had placed her Quidditch bag in the front closet, before making her way to the bathroom that stood across the hall from her office. It was a relatively quick shower, one that didn't last longer than ten minutes. 

When she finally made her way to her office, she found three envelopes sitting upon her dark desk. 

Dear Nox,

How's life going? I bet you'd ask the same but probably with the word 'death'. Get it? I'm technically dead. 

That's not the point. 

Alice didn't tell me what she saw, but I already know. Mind reading and all. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry, Nova. You've been fighting almost your entire life. You deserve happiness. You deserve to live without fearing death. 

I'm always here if you need me. 

- Cedric 

Nova rolled her eyes in the beginning of the letter, but was grateful nonetheless. She set it off to the side, before opening the next. 

Nova,

I had another vision. Please mail me back when you are free . . . I think Edward said you guys called it 'owling'. This is too severe and important to talk about through letters.

- Alice Cullen

The last envelope looked eerily innocent. It looked too innocent. Nova tentatively lifted the letter, but held it at arms length, almost like it was going to explode in her face. When she opened it, Nova immediately dropped it. 

Little Lupin, 

I hope your peace feels amazing. It upsets me. I hate when things upset me, and I most definitely hate peace. 

How would the world feel once they learn of your families return?

Doesn't the littlest Lupin look so . . . appetizing? Much like his sister, don't you think?

Do me a favor won't you?

Sleep with one eye open. 

- F. G. 

Nova's hands started to shake. Her eyes were wide. Her heart hammered. 

Her hands started to heat up. 

Smoke erupted from the parchment, not long followed by flames. 

Silent tears fell from her eyes. She felt trapped. She felt like she was back in the stupid dungeon basement. She felt powerless again. She felt alone again. She could practically see the same room she was kept in. The 1,000 black bricks and dark door that was always locked. 

Admist her tears, Nova snapped her fingers, causing the ashes to disappear. She burned all of the letters, not leaving a single trace behind. She quickly sent and owl to Alice, just as she had asked. 

She waved her wand over her face, removing an tear stains. She took several deep breaths before making her way to her bedroom. 

"Hey," Harry greeted softly with a faint smile. 

"Hey," Nova kissed him on his cheek as she moved to lay next to him. 

"How was practice?" he asked, pulling her into his side. 

"Same old, same old," Nova answered. 

"Is everything alright, love?" Harry furrowed his brows, looking down at her. 

"Of course, darlin," she lied smoothly. "I'm just really tired."

"Get some rest then."

"How can I when I can talk to you all night?"

"I'm immune to your charms, Nova Lupin-Black."

"Think as you may, Harry Potter. I see your red cheeks."

"Shove off!"

Nova laughed, before snuggling into Harry's chest. 

She was getting a little too good a lying. She was good enough to fool everyone until it was too late. 

That night, and many nights following, she did exactly what Greyback said. 

She slept with one eye open.