Second Year Part Two

Everyone watched in shock as Mrs. Weasley's voice rang out through the Great Hall with a Howler. Harry and Nova both looked at in shock. Snape looked overly happy at Ron's embarassment.

Then Nova's howler came.

The Great Hall was silent. Everyone watched in anticipation. Nova wasn't phased when the shouting of Mrs. Morgenstern rang through the hall. She simply looked bored.

"NOVA BLACK, HOW DARE YOU?" she screeched. "WE TAKE YOU IN AS OUR OWN DAUGHTER AND THIS IS HOW YOU THANK US? YOU ARE A DISGRACE! YOU-"

The howler was burned. Nova had burned it. She didn't wish to have her toast breakfast ruined by the Morgensterns stating she'd be locked in the dungeon all Christmas Break.

"I cannot express how much I hate them," Sirius growled.

***

"You've got to be kidding me," Nova groaned as she looked down at the test Gilderoy Lockheart had passed out.

"Is there a problem, Miss Black?" he asked her.

"Yes, actually," she said, handing him the test back. "This isn't truly a test."

"Of course it is!"

"Sir, these are all questions that would not have been found in your books," Nova said slowly. "These would only be found in articles written about you-"

"Nova!" Lily hissed. "You cannot speak to a teacher that way!"

"It's okay, mum," Harry cut in. "He's a fruad anyways."

"Still!"

"I get it from my Da," Nova defended. "Blame him."

"Thanks, Lion," Sirius said sarcastically.

"Good witches and wizards are well versed in all forms of literature."

"No," Nova shook her head. "You don't need to be good at understanding textbooks to be good at magic. Besides, this is stupid. Why would I read an article about a man who is self-obsessed?"

Hermione was looking at Nova like she was an alien, as were most of the female population in that class.

Ron and Harry shared a look, clearly agreeing with her.

"Besides," Nova continued as Lockheart attempted to speak. "What's your favorite color have to do with Defense Against the Dark Arts?"

"This test is meant to give students easy points-"

"That's fine and all, but how the bloody fucking hell am I supposed to know what your favorite color is if I only read the seven million books you required us to buy this year?" Nova vented. "Speaking of which, did you only make your students buy all of your books so you can have more money?"

"Now, now, Miss Black," he patted her head, and she glared at him. "You haven't the faintest clue what you're on about."

"It was a simple question," she shrugged. "Are you not under the impression that some students might not be able to afford such textbooks?"

Lockheart stammered.

"I thought someone with such a 'great' history in defeating darknesses would learn to think things through."

"Detention, and ten house points."

"Alright," Nova shrugged.

Nova and Hermione were the only two students that passed the test given. Nova simply guessed, and only missed a few questions. Hermione hadn't missed anything. Nova was slightly incorrect. Some of the questions on the test were simple mentions in the books, but most of them were not.