Prologue

A tall woman in high heels and a green suit strutted down into a stadium. She scrunched her nose in distaste then she flicked curls behind her. The pale locks moved like silk and looked simple yet orderly. The green suite she wore was so vibrant against the blackened grass that the field had. As she stopped at the center she nodded. "Turn the cameras on. It's time." she spoke, and her voice carried across easily. Three men nodded and switched on three different cameras.

"People of Panem," she started, her voice commanding. "I am your new president. My name is President Akeeva. I am here to inform you of very important events coming up soon."

She cleared her throat and stepped forward, her hands opening up and raised next to her. "As you are aware you each are a part of a district. Each representing something we need. Technology, fishing, backing, lumber, coal, luxury, defense, transportation, textiles, power, grain, livestock. Today we will invite one young man and woman from each district, each from the age of twelve to eighteen, for a celebration here at the capitol."

She paused for a second, letting the nation process her words. She looked behind the camera for what to say next, where a man was holding a sign up, telling her what to announce next. "A public reaping will be held at every district. Everyone must attend. If you don't attend, you will be arrested." Her intimidating voice drove her point further, along with her intense look.

"All the children of Panem will line up orderly and a huge glass jar will be filled with slips of paper, each with a child's name on it. Once the two children are picked, they will be shipped to the capital on a train of luxury. After all, they are our guests." She smiled at that last part, a hint of menace shown on her face.

"Their journey will be shown on cameras and our elite broadcasting team will be showing all of it. When the celebration starts, I hope everyone watches from their televisions. It'll be a celebration of the capital's victory. That is all, return to your day-to-day lives." The broadcast was quickly shut off, and Akeeva walked out of the stadium. Everyone in Panem watches this broadcast, and 24 kids don't even know what they're about to get into.