[book 2] chapter thirty-two: my boyfriend meets my dad

Start from the beginning

Seeing the blanched look on James' face from Amber's hysterical threat made me laugh. "Amber, what's going on?"

Before she could answer, the staircase creaked as someone was coming down. For my twin's sake, I hoped it was Alex. "I'm going out," Brenton said without looking up from his phone. Upon seeing Amber, he made the swiftest turn in the opposite direction. "By out, I mean in. See ya."

"Don't you dare," Amber warned him.

I got up from my seat on the couch and walked towards them. "What is going on?" I demanded, both confused and dying with curiosity.

Amber jabbed her index finger in Brenton's chest. "Why are you telling guys not to date me?"

He snorted. "Don't blame me for being the one sucker to fall for you. Any guy with taste would not be interested in you."

"He does realize he insulted himself, right?" James commented from the couch.

"I think Alex is in the kitchen, why don't you ask him to make you a snack?"

He shook his head from my suggestion. "It's fine, I'm not... Never mind, I'm starving," he said when he saw my dirty look. "Alex, buddy, you still in the kitchen?" James hopped over the couch and went to the kitchen before he could face my wrath. Having your boyfriend fear you was a great feeling.

"Wait," Brenton suddenly said. "I didn't tell anyone they couldn't date you."

"You didn't?" Amber and I said at the same time.

"No, but I did tell a few guys I'd castrate them with my old, chipped lacrosse stick if they did." He paused. "I'm talking splinter central."

I wasn't sure what had me more surprised: Brenton using a big word or his disgustingly vivid threat.

Amber stomped angrily. "You're infuriating!"

Brenton shot her a bored look. "And you're trespassing. Get the hell off my property."

My best friend looked at me for support. "Dani, do something."

I let out a sigh, really not wanting to be in the middle of this petty fight. "Brenton, why would you tell people that?"

"Why are you pointing fingers at me?" he demanded, his jaw clenched from anger. "I wouldn't have said a word if it weren't for her."

Okay, now I was beyond confused. I turned to Amber for some support and clarification. "I thought you said..."

"That's not the point," she interrupted.

"What are you talking about?" Brenton questioned.

"I thought you," I pointed at Brenton, "dumped her." I pointed at Amber. 

My twin's eyebrows rose in surprise. "So that's the story, huh? Paint me as the bad guy, how convenient?"

"Amber, what is he talking about?" I demanded. Someone needed to start telling the truth.

"Of course you're saying all this bullshit now that you're in the hot seat," she said with a shake of her head.

Brenton took a step towards her. "You know what's pretty damn funny?"

I had a feeling this wouldn't be the least bit comical.

"No guys were interested in you before me. The only reason any guy would even consider being with you is to experience Brent Parker's sloppy ass seconds."

Amber raised her hand and slapped him across the face. I gasped, and so did James and Alex, who were watching from the entrance of the kitchen. Amber's face was red, her eyes watery, but she stormed out before anyone could say or do anything.