Chapter 23 Pt 1 - A Freeway of Forests

Começar do início

He'd been a wunderkind growing up in Illinois, graduating high school early, acing the entrance exams, and then finishing college by eighteen. Along the way, he sold six patents on hybrid engine technology to six separate automotive companies, assuring himself financial independence for the rest of this life. And maybe give the clean energy industry a jump start...

He'd also struck up a correspondence with a bright young girl from Southern California. They were pen pals until Martha convinced her dad this new email thingy was legit, after which, they talked daily. James even flew out to visit a handful of times, making about as good an impression as a boy can make on a girl's father.

And now he was taking her away.

It was to be a gap year for Martha, traveling up the Pacific coast and into Canada with James, though of course they hadn't told her father the whole story. The whole story... Ha!

As James loaded the gear, Steven asked, "Did you find the butane torch?"

"I did, thanks."

"And the road flares?"

"Got those too."

"Great. They can really be a lifesaver. Well..." Steven slapped his hands together nervously. "Anything else you kids need?"

Martha and James shook their heads at one another and then Steven. He held out his hand. "Then young man, please take care of my daughter."

James shook his hand and said, "Mr Beckett."

"Steven."

"Permit me – Mr Beckett – because I take the safety of your daughter seriously," James said with a tone to match. "And I promise to do whatever needs to be done to keep her safe. But... you know better than I that Martha is profoundly capable."

"That's true," Steven agreed.

"She'll be taking care of me as much as I, her."

"Excellent point, James."

"That being said, I'd jump in front of a speeding train..."

Steven smiled and nodded his appreciation. Martha was enjoying the performance. If they were competing to see who could tell her father exactly what he wanted to hear, James had just tied the game.

But he wasn't done. "And Steven. I don't know how to say this, but... I never really had much of a relationship with my dad..."

Martha sighed. Really? As James continued to speak, she reached into the Jeep's glove box and pulled out a travel pack of kleenex.

"...and I hope you don't mind, but... for a while now, I've... kind of considered you as my dad."

Steven stared at James in shock. But Martha knew better. In 3... 2... 1... His face broke into tears as he embraced James. "Of course... I don't... mind..."

Martha walked to them just as they released and handed her father a kleenex.

Wiping his eyes, he said, "Oh, here I go again."

"Just let 'em fall," Martha said. "Because now I'm going to hug you goodbye. Love you, Dad." She hugged him and felt his tears on her shoulder as he squeezed her a little tighter than their normal goodbye. And Steven was right to, because this wasn't a normal life. Though exactly why, he was still unaware.

"Love you too, Marty. Okay, you better just go before I collapse into the fetal position," Steven joked.

"Sure thing," she said, tears crowding the corners of her eyes now as well, then climbed into the Jeep. As James pulled away, she looked back and waved to her father who waved back. James turned the corner and he was gone. Martha sniffled.