quarantuno

Janis looked up from the sandwich, but didn’t turn around. Red sunk to her knees, holding Fate’s legs.

“You struck me for the last time.”

“Fate, please.”

“You know I was abused greatly in my life. And you do this to me?”

“Baby.”

“When you hit the one you love it’sautomatically  over. My Mama is dead. She hit me enough.”

Red broke open. “Please…”

“When I get back from meeting your Mama and
senile policeman Daddy I will pack my things and leave.”

“Fate.”

“My plane leaves today. I bought the tickets while you were packing the truck.”

“But what about our picnic?”

“Stand up, Red. Please. Company is here.”

“Can you please leave and go home,” Red told
Janis.

Fate said, “She can stay. I don’t want her to leave. She is my mother’s friend…She will always be
welcome in this home. She didn’t do anything to you.”

Defeated, Red stood up. She tried to hug Fate.

“I will marry you under one condition.”

“Name it.”

“I want to meet your parents.”

“Baby…”

“Why are you hiding me? Are you ashamed of
being with me?”

“Baby, that’s not it.”

“We’ve been together for a long time and not once have I met any of your family. Do you have cousins?

“Yes.”

“Where do they live?”

“They live in Wisconsin.”

Fate laughed, walking past her. She stood beside
Janis.

Red eyed her evilly, shaking her head. Send her home. I don’t like discussing my business with strangers present. You know I hate that shit, Fate. She won’t leave me. I’ll suck the
lining outta that pussy.

She won’t go anywhere. I’ll beat that pussy with my tongue and dildo ‘til she rolls over and go to sleep.

Then I’ll fuck her in the ass the way she liked. She loves dildos in that booty. And I love fucking her in it.

I love bouncing deeper and deeper inside her.

Making her skeet in my mouth. Making her take this tongue. “They don’t live in Wisconsin, Red.”

“They do.”

“What does Autumn’s Rose mean?” Fate asked
and Janis stopped breathing. “The tattoo on your neck. Who gave you the name?”

“My great grandma. She loved me so much. She
said I reminded her of a Rose in Autumn.”

Janis choked.

Fate said, “Do you want something to drink, my friend?"

Janis looked at her. “No.”

The look in Fate’s eyes told Janis that she knew Red was her daughter.

Fate knows! Janis silently walked over to her purse.

“Red. If I don’t meet your folks we are not getting married.”

“OK. We will meet them.”

“Really? Where is your Mom institutionalized?”

“In Orlando.”

“Liar.”

“She is.”

“Try Ontario. Isn’t that where you told me she was institutionalized?”

Red’s heart stopped. She’s catching me in all of my lies. Why didn’t I realize it? Orlando?

Orlando should have been my first clue.

Janis was pulling out her wallet. She quietly looked it over, tears falling down her face.

Fate asked, “Why is your Mom in a nursing home? Why didn’t you bring her here to live? You are in good health. She birthed you and raised you and I’m sure she did everything for you.”

“She…”

“The truth, Red!”

“OK. I hated my mother. She loved my Daddy,
Earl, more than she loved me.”

No, baby. No. I didn’t love him more than you. I just wanted to be there for my husband the way a wife should. I didn’t love him though. I loved Gin, Michelle’s husband. “Are you sure?”

“Yes.” Red walked up to Fate, taking her hands.

Tears spilt from her eyes.

She’s trembling, thought Fate. She’s telling the truth.