Chapter 22

Chen Xue's POV

After 2 weeks, the wound on my leg had finally recovered, and I had to go to the Palace to receive a reward again. I could also spend more time with the King as well, which was why I have agreed to go back. Throughout these 2 weeks, the King has had his documents and work sent to him, and he has not even left my side for anything. I felt bad about it, feeling as if I was holding him back, and he denied it, telling me not to worry about it. Currently, we were in the carriage on our way back to the Palace, and judging by the duration we were stuck here, we were probably close. "Your Majesty, - " I was about to comment on the carriage but he cut me off. "Guo Zhen, it's Guo Zhen with you," he said. Wasn't that his name? Even though I did not grow up in the Palace, I knew it was a crime to call the King by his name. What? I looked at him with wide eyes, and he nodded before holding my hand."I want you to see me as your equal. Not as someone of more power than you, or your superior" he assured, and I nodded. His name it is. "Gu-Guo Zhen, this carriage is really nice," I tested his name out before flashing him my brightest smile. His eyes narrowed.

"What do you want? The Chen Xue I know wouldn't smile so happily unless she wanted something," he said and I giggled.

"I want this carriage, it's so beautiful. It would be nice to sit in here with the soldiers back at home on our ride here," I told him, putting on the cutest face I could. He looked away abruptly. "Don't pull that card on me. I can't say no to that face," he said and pulled at my hands swiftly, making me plop onto his lap. My eyes went wide, and I was certain I looked identical to a tomato.

His palm met my cheek, caressing it, and he stared into my eyes. Would he be able to see all the people that I have killed through my eyes? After all, the eyes are the windows to one's soul. "You're so beautiful you know that? The moment you walked in, I was stunned speechless. I couldn't even say a word. But I realized that before I even met you, I already had an obsession for you. I wanted to see you so badly, and after I met you, that feeling and need increased exponentially," he said all of a sudden and my eyes darted downwards. What was with this tingling feeling in my stomach? It felt like butterflies flying around and laying eggs in my stomach.

"So, don't make yourself prettier than you already are. My heart can't take it," he said with a smile that told me he was teasing me. What? What did I do again? Putting the puzzle pieces back in place, my request came back to me and I regained my memories. The carriage. I still wanted it though. Did what he said mean he would give it to me? "So you'll give me the carriage right?" I squeaked and his chest rumbled as he laughed. His laugh was now my favourite sound in the world. Why didn't he laugh in front of me more?

"I was hoping this stunt I performed would make you forget about it, but I guess not. Take the carriage, it's all yours,". Happiness filled me and I couldn't wait to tell Chen Ting about it. He would be so happy with this upgrade. We might even clone a few so it's easier. Guo Zhen opened the cloth covering the window, and I realized we were stopping by the market. The one that Chen Ting brought me to. This time though, it was not Chen Ting bringing us here, it was another man, one of Guo Zhen's most trusted eunuchs I believe. "I know of an amazing restaurant. The food there is amazing," I exclaimed before tugging onto Guo Zhen's sleeve. He chuckled and followed me. I ordered the same thing, braised pork ribs and fried vegetables.

As I devoured the food I had, I was looking around the restaurant when 2 people dining together caught my eyes. Tapping the King's biceps to get his attention, I pointed at the couple sitting in one of the secluded booths near the back of the inn. "Look at that table. Can you believe it? Zhi Ruo didn't even tell me. What?" I asked him. I felt betrayed, because why wouldn't she tell me. Weren't we best friends? But, being rational, I haven't seen her in a little over a year, and the moment I saw her again, my leg had an arrow attached to it. Making a mental note to confront her about it, I returned my attention to the man next to me. He squinted his eyes before raising his eyebrows. "I didn't know he had a thing for your best friend," he commented before returning to his food.

"The food here is really good. We should come here more often," he said and I nodded, agreeing with him. Eyeing the two of them, we continued spectating and making comments, until something occurred to Guo Zhen. "I already arranged a marriage for him. I asked him if he had a significant other and he said he didn't, which was why I went ahead with the marriage," he said with wide eyes. "What? They sure look like a thing if you ask me. Are you sure he said he did not have a significant other? When is the marriage going to happen?" I bombarded him with questions and his next words widened my eyes. Next month. "Don't worry. I'll confront him later when he gets back to the Palace. No wonder he is always sneaking out recently," he assured and we finished up our food before going back to the Palace.