October is ending. It has been two weeks since Poppy's death, and the university continues to move along. The night of Halloween is the masquerade ball. The masquerade is a dry event and most of the initiates are thankful. The sight of any alcoholic beverage would be too soon.

The week before the masquerade is spent preparing. Felix eats less than usual, to prepare for all the eyes that will be on him tonight. He prepares his suit but thinks of the clothing he will be wearing beneath. Everyone will finally get to see how magnificent he is.

Evelyn is busy helping anyone who asks her with their clothes. She has had her outfit picked out since before school began. She wears a ballgown that is barely peach in colour, covered in flowers with large puff sleeves. She hopes it doesn't rain so her dress won't drag in the mud. If she had picked out the dress now, she would've picked out something with more sparkle, maybe even something that showed off her curves. She has become someone different.

Roman wears a suit. It is jacket is brown corduroy jacket with cream pants to match. They wear a pocket watch in their vest pocket, a gift from their father. They aren't sure they want to go. Other than to sleep, they haven't put down Kant in days. They can't.

Tom wears his best, the clothes reserved for funerals and weddings. He bought a corsage from a florist who came to campus in preparation for the event. He hopes to give it to Vieira as an apology. Though he knows how to listen to a no, he hasn't heard one yet. Besides, they are meant to be together. He is sure of it.

Vieira wears a gift from a designer in Berlin. It's a dusty rose. The bodice is simple and it has a tiered tulle bottom. She feels like she sticks out with it on, but with the matching mask, she hopes to at the very least blend into the crowd.

Ez wears a simple black tux. Men's outfits are simple, he thinks. He leaves his curly hair a flop on his head. Men, he thinks, are mostly indistinguishable. He's only going to keep his eyes on the others. His tuition pays for such an event, so he is entitled to go. He realizes that he would rather be drunk out of his mind, debating with Roman. At least, with a version of Roman which he doubts exists any longer.

Unlike Ez, Luis goes a bit more extravagant. He wears a green tux with a black bowtie. Though floral patterns are in, and he could probably get away with one as an art student, it feels a bit tacky for Hawkwood. Green will already be a statement. The rich will see how much he doesn't care. He begins to doubt that it even matters, sticking it to the entitled.

Briar wears a red dress. It plunges deep into her chest but does not reveal her legs. She knows exactly what she can and cannot show and still be labelled as classy. She's been thinking about it a lot. Creating space between her and other men, but also wanting to get too close. She's caught between hypersexual and celibate. No longer can she decide what is her brain acting or what is the consequences of the roofies, or how to even separate herself from that night anymore.

Ellie's sister sent her a dress. It's not Ellie's taste at all, with its a light blue hue, supposedly to match Ellie's blonde hair. It has a slightly more than tasteful amount of lace, long sleeves, and a huge puffy skirt. She understands they are supposed to be wearing ballgowns, but she can't imagine dancing with someone in such an outfit. Ellie doesn't really want to dance with anyone anyway. At least, not with a man.

Jetta doesn't have to worry much about what to wear. The orchestra is playing in the pit beneath the ballroom. She is almost glad; she cannot afford a fancy dress though she would like to be at the party. It is probably for the best, as with her bass guitar and leather jackets, she doesn't really belong at such an extravagant event. Jetta is beginning to feel like she doesn't belong anywhere.