01

The children of the rich, often, don't believe in punctuality. Such is the case for Poppy Prevost, who is walking home late from the library. The letter expressed an exact time to meet, but Poppy paid it little mind. If they were interested in her, they would wait.

She makes it back to her dormitory, where she changes out of her clothes and into a new set. She is more than familiar with The Divide. Her mother was a member during her time at Hawkwood, and once Poppy got her letter, she couldn't help but share the news. Now, she prepares herself for the first meeting.

~~~

Tom paces his room back and forth. He doesn't know what to expect. First, the scholarship skyrocketed him across the world (from regular England to New England), and now he had been noticed by some group. He had been seen. It is quite a frightening thing, not to be observed but to be thought of and heard by others.

It is almost time to head out. He wears his second-best clothes, simple slacks and a button-up (his best are reserved for funerals and weddings). He followed the letter's instructions completely. It only now occurs to him that this might be a prank by some of his wealthy peers. If it is, he thinks he can hold himself together. Tom is an expert in keeping a straight face. Still, he leaves a note in his dorm, tucked under his pillow so his roommate will not find it unless he is gone absurdly long.

~~~

Jetta is trying her best not to panic. She is sure that everything is fine. Her letter, which hides in her underwear drawer, addresses her by Jetta, her name. Not the legal one which wraps its syllables around her throat to suffocate her. To them, she is Jetta James. It should be safe to go, right? There shouldn't be trouble hanging over her head for the rest of her life.

Tonight, she decides not to wear her leather jacket. It is as much a part of her as her own skin, which is to say it clings to her yet feels so distant. There aren't many dress clothes that she owns, and she realizes she doesn't belong for another reason altogether. It is easy to dwell in misery. Jetta knows this better than most people. She also knows how to soar better than anyone else she has ever met.

~~~

Vieira is used to putting up appearances. She gets herself ready, without the aid of her father's stylus and the direction of his publicist. Over the years, she has committed their tips to memory in such a way that it is almost like they are there beside her. Hair is tricky for her; she's never been particularly good at pottery or other things that require using your hands to shape things. Her fingers are delicate and fine, and using a curler risks burning them. However, today of all days, she must look her best.

Once she is ready, she sits on the ground in front of her mirror. It is a ritual she has always done before events, mostly because a mirror is always available before going into a crowd. She looks at her fingers in the mirror, carefully cleaned of all paint, and she looks at her eyes, with their dark circles covered. Vieira doesn't recognize herself.

~~~

Felix massages his feet while he waits. They ache from days spent in the studio. He is used to the intensity, but he had hoped that Hawkwood would be lighter than the load placed on his shoulders by his father. Unfortunately, a few weeks into the semester and he was already learning his first ballet. If he were an upper-year, he is sure he would be the lead.