Chapter 34

Six years ago(Flashbacks)

Paula felt depressed. She stayed in her bed all day long and barely left her room. She had no appetite for food, but for the sake of the baby, she forced herself to eat as much as her stomach could contain without vomiting. She didn't join the family downstairs for their meals. Petra. One of the maids brought her meals to her room.

She slept in her bed with her room plunged in total darkness even though it was daylight. She refused to let Petra open the drapes whenever she dropped by with the food or to do some cleaning. What was the point of letting light into her room, when her life was a total mess and a pit of endless darkness.

Every time she closed her eyes, Rafael's pained face when she told him in a sarcastic voice that she never loved him appeared before her eyes. His distraught face that night haunted her dreams and thoughts.

She missed her silly arguments with him. She missed the feel of his strong and safe arms around her. She missed the achingly sweet endearments he used to whisper in her night as he worshipped her body like she was some goddess.

Someone stepped into the room and opened the drapes. The bright summer light flooded into the room. Paula groaned and flipped open her covers, ready to shout off Petra's ear but it was her brother instead, standing at the foot of the bed, his arms crossed over his chest and his dark brows furrowed into a frown.

She groaned and fell back on the bed.

"What do you want?," she asked in a quiet voice.

They were twins but they didn't share that connection twins are believed to have. Andres had no time for her. He was always running around everything in a skirt and getting drunk or getting laid at some exclusive party with his shallow friends.

"How long are you going to spend cropped up in here?," he asked her.

"As if you care," she snorted.

"I am not exactly a person to display my emotions and affections but believe me, l really do care about you a lot."

His words stunned her into sitting up straight and leaning against the headboard. He gave her a small sad smile.

"Are you going to mourn the loss of your lover for the rest your life? At least think about the baby. You knew from the start that it was bound to end so why are you sulking over it."

Her mouth fell open at his words.

"You knew about us?," she asked, her face pale with disbelief.

Andres chuckled as he sat on the edge of the bed.

"I suspected that you had a thing for him but l wasn't sure of anything until l saw him slipping out of your room early in the morning."

"Then why didn't you out me to our parents?"

"One- you have many dirty records on me and two- l discovered that he wasn't harmless. I thought that you could enjoy a silly summer fling before going to college."

A trembling smile graced her lips.

"You never cease to surprise me, do you?"

"Is that your way of saying thank you?," he asked with an arched eyebrow.

"Thank you, Andres," she said with a genuine smile.

"I know that you don't like, Rodriguez but believe the guy may be an asshole but he is a keeper. He protects what's his with a fierce passion. I know that the baby and you will be safe with him."