[book 2] chapter twenty-seven: pre-rehearsal dinner mayhem

Start from the beginning

"No boxed gifts." Niko paused. "Please."

"Oh, you mean the dinner I've been planning?" I said sarcastically. "I'll try to be there."

Vanessa raised her eyebrows. "Meow."

I rolled my eyes and walked past them up to my bedroom. I had planned to lay in my bed and scroll on my phone for hours but then I remembered I left it in my car yesterday. I went back downstairs and out the front door, surprised to see my jeep on the driveway. Someone stepped out of the driver's side and I recognized him as Pete from the diner.

"I'm looking for a guy named Danny," he said.

"That's me."

He shot me a confused look but shook his head. "Whatever, tell your boyfriend you're welcome."

I cocked an eyebrow. "Boyfriend?"

"Yeah, love wins or whatever, Danny."

Confused by what he meant, I opened my car door and retrieved my phone and keys. "Hey, weren't there groceries inside?"

"What about them?" Pete replied snippily.

"Okay, never mind," I said under my breath. Focusing my attention back on my phone, I checked my notifications and found a missed call from James so I dialled him back. "Hey, you."

"I miss your voice," he said. "It feels like I haven't seen you in so long. Want to come up to Penbrooke for the day?"

As much as I would have loved to spend the day with James, I was beyond exhausted from the busy morning I had. "I'm so tired," I told him truthfully. "How about tomorrow?"

"Can't," he sighed, "I'm working a double."

"What about the day after?" I suggested.

"I'm taking my mom to back-to-back appointments all day. What about the day after that?" he offered.

I was about to agree but then remembered I was busy. "I have a board meeting. That shit goes on for hours."

"I guess we aren't seeing each other until the rehearsal dinner," he said dejectedly.

"Then I guess I'll have to make it worth your while," I told him.

James chuckled. "I like the sound of that."

"I'll see you real soon," I promised. "Love you."

"I love you, too."

~*~

"Stop right here," I told my dad.

He let out a low whistle. "You're doing the rehearsal dinner at this hotel? The banquet hall costs a fortune."

"Perks of Niko marrying rich," I joked. I undid my seatbelt, but before I could get out I turned to face him. "I really want you to come to the wedding."

He smiled although it didn't reach his eyes. "I'm not so sure Niko would be okay with that."

"I don't know how he can get married without his dad there," I chided.

He ruffled my hair affectionately. "Dani, please don't put your nose where it shouldn't be."

"But that's not fair," I argued. "You're his father, you should be there!"

"Only if your brother is okay with it," he said.

I supposed that was fair, but I was going to make sure I warmed Niko up to the idea of Dad re-entering our lives. Despite how we felt about his past mistakes, he should be there to see his firstborn get married. If I were in Niko's shoes, I'd want Dad there for my wedding.