Chapter 10 - Fancy Things and Family Names

Start from the beginning

"That's so unnatural."

Everyone at the table turned to the other girl, with cropped black hair under her witch hat.

"A normie getting magical powers?" she scoffed. "That's just twisted." She blinked, almost seeming surprised, before adding, "—But totally cool."

"It's not cool," Lisha said. "It's weird."

Evie looked torn between agreeing or standing up for Alana.

"We're getting our familiars next week," Evie said instead, changing the subject. "The second and third years already have them."

"Second and third years?"

Evie nodded. "Second years are the students in red," she nodded towards the boy, who was wearing a red tunic. "Third years in purple."

I must have missed a lot, Alana thought, how am I going to graduate with the rest of my form?

"It's really frustrating," Lisha groaned. "We only get to move up a year if the teachers think we're ready. Me and Malena have been in the first year for 3 WHOLE. YEARS." Lisha nodded at the black-haired girl.

"Well," Evie flicked her dark-brown hair. "Mistress Crowbone says she'll probably be pushing me up soon!"

"Really?" Lisha gushed. "That's so great!"

"Yeah," Malena—the girl with black hair—chimed in. "You're so smart, Evie."

"I know, I know," Evie said smugly. "I'm waaaaaay awesome and amazing and beautiful, all Storms are." she turned to Alana and leaned in conspiratorially. "I'm on top of the rankings."

Alana couldn't help but roll her eyes. Evie didn't notice. 

Too busy basking in her own little oven.

"ATTENTION!"

Everyone turned towards the faculty table, where a lady with a large raven on her shoulder stood on a podium.

"That's the daily announcements," Evie whispered to Alana. "That's Eldress Narani. She's the headmistress."

Alana almost rolled her eyes again. Eldress?  Seriously, what was with the fancy-schmancy names?

The Eldress raised a hand to her forehead, "Peace," she said, her voice loud and full of authority. Everyone else in the room did the same, including Evie. Alana struggled to keep up.

"Peace be to all of you," Narani said, stroking her black raven. "Thank you for gathering here tonight at Kalliste Academy of Magic."

This time, Alana actually rolled her eyes.

"I have a few announcements to make," the headmistress continued. "Firstly, the Creatures and Botany class for all forms will take place in our newly renovated greenhouses and paddocks located at the back of the castles." 

"Those have been renovating since forever," Malena whispered to Evie. "I've been here 3 years, so I should know."

"Secondly," Eldress Narani opened her arms. "The first year will be receiving their familiars in the official Receiving Ceremony next week."

More excited murmurs.

"Lastly," the Eldress said. "We have two very special people who are joining our academy of excellence."

She paused for a while before saying, "Let us all welcome Camillia Hollowood and Alana Winters!"

The whole room erupted with clapping and cheering, followed along with some animal screeching. And for a second, Alana's eyes locked with Eldress Narani's dark blue ones.

Narani looked away. 

"For our two new witches," the Eldress continued. "By midnight tonight, we will have the official Coven Ceremony!"

"What?" Alana blurted, surprised, she didn't expect an actual ceremony. "What's that?"

"Only the best thing ever!" Evie suddenly looked very giddy. "I hope you get Hydrosphere! Then you can be with us!" she put her arms over Lisha and Malena's shoulders, grinning widely.

"What's Hydros-"

"Miss Winters?" came a dry voice.

Alana turned to see a tall lady dressed in a long black dress with that had pointed shoulders. Her dark hair was pulled up in a bun, and she held some sort of walking stick/scepter thing that had a small metal bird head mounted on the top.

"Yes," Alana answered. "That's me."

The lady wasn't looking at Alana anymore, but was glaring at Evie Storm, with her arms still on her friends' shoulders.

"Evie Esmeralda Storm." the lady sniped. "We Storms do not embrace lower witches. Act with dignity or you're a disgrace to the family name."

Evie's smile vanished and her arms dropped to her lap. She cast her gaze downwards. "Yes, Mother."

"When we are in public, you may call me Headwitch Storm," Evie's mother said curtly.

Evie said nothing.

The tall lady nodded, then motioned for Alana to follow her.

"Where are we going?" Alana asked.

The Headwitch didn't answer.

Alana cleared her throat, trying to keep up with the lady's brisk pace as they climbed back up the stairs. "Where are we going, Headwitch Storm?"

For a moment the woman didn't answer. She continued climbing until they were above all the tables. 

She turned around to face Alana. 

"Isn't it obvious?" she said impatiently. "We are going to Eldress Narani's office."