9 | Blush

The next morning, I woke up to find Lando's side of the bed empty. I groaned as I got out of bed, I was definitely a little sore from last night. I rubbed my eyes, and laughed as I realized that I was still in my dress. I guess I really was tired last night. I put on a pair of sweats and the sweatshirt Lando gave me when we first met.

As I opened my door, I heard Kate's laughter coming from the kitchen. I stopped outside my room, not closing my door and strained to hear what was going on.

"But, in all seriousness," Kate said, "She's helped me more than she'll probably ever know."

What I heard next made me smile. "I hope you don't mind if I borrow her every once in a while." Lando's voice carried back to me.

"Of course not. I'm happy to share her." Kate said, and Lando laughed. "Plus, I can tell she really cares for you, that's why, even though I don't think you will, I have to be her best friend and tell you I'll break your face if you break your heart."

"Wouldn't dream of it." Lando said. I could hear the sincerity in his voice while he said it.

I decided I'd probably eavesdropped enough, so I closed my door, making sure it could be heard. Lando's head popped around the doorframe to the kitchen.

"Morning." Lando said to me.

"Morning." I said as I made my way over to the kitchen. I stood at the kitchen island, and I felt Lando's hands snake around my torso to engulf me in a hug from behind as he kissed the top of my head. I leaned against him and a small smile spread across my face.

"Well aren't you two just the cutest." Kate said. "It makes me sick." She joked.

Kate, Lando, and I talked during breakfast, and after, Lando had to leave to start packing for Croatia. Once I wished him off, I came back into the kitchen to help Kate clean up.

"He's so nice." Kate said, looking at me.

"I know." I said as a goofy grin spread across my face.

"And so genuine."

"I know." My smile grew wider.

"And funny."

"I know." Wider still.

"You're smitten." Kate said, grinning at me.

"I know." I said before laughing.

"Well you better get to packing too." Kate said to me.

"You're sure it's okay if I go?" I asked once again.

"Yes. Go! I'll be fine. I already worked it out, and Julianne's going to stay here with me."

. . .

I opened the flat door to Julianne. "Oh my goodness, hi!" I said. "It's been forever."

"You don't have to tell me twice." Julianne said.

"Ju!" You heard Kate shout as she rounded the corner, out of her room. "You're here!"

Lando and I were leaving for Croatia today, and Julianne had come to stay with Kate while I was gone.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice." I said to her.

"Of course." She said, "I'm always happy to help." She smiled. "So, where're you going?"

"Croatia." I told her with a smile.

"Oh... with whom?" She asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Her boyfriend." Kate said.

"Kate!" I pushed her shoulder, and she giggled.