Part 15

The day of the ball came soon after that. I had just finished helping Mai and Ty-Lee get ready when someone knocked on the door. I opened it and hurried to get to Azula, who was waiting inside the room for me to help get into her dress. Azula looked at the door and took the dress from me, covering herself up.

"god, Zuzu, let us know you're here before you knock" I turned to see prince Zuko standing at the door, wearing a simple red shirt and brown pants. He held a black fabric in his hands.

"I need Katara's help, all the other servants are at the royal kitchen preparing the food" I looked at Azula, who looked at me.

"you can wait there, with your back to us. Katara will help me and then you" prince Zuko turned his back to us and Azula gave me the dress again. I helped her into it and did her hair and makeup. When she wore her golden shoes, I turned to the prince.

"come on, I'll help" I touched his forearm. He looked at me as I took the fabric from him and opened it. It was a two-piece suit, fancier than the one he wore at Azula's gala, but not too fancy. A deep red button up shirt was tucked inside the jacket; it fell when I opened it, along with a black bowtie. I picked them both up and looked at him.

"you need help putting that on?"

"I need help with the jacket and bowtie" I sighed and put the pants and shirt on the nearby chair. He took his red shirt and brown pants off and wore the black pants, buttoning them up. He took the red shirt and buttoned it up wrong. I sighed and put the rest on the chair and buttoned his shirt up right. I then took the jacket and helped him put it on, shutting down any attempt of his to talk. When I took the bowtie, he grabbed my wrists, he was clearly angry.

"why aren't you talking to me? Do you hate me that much?" I fought the urge to just put my head on his chest, or kiss him, or say anything that would make him think I love him.

"please let go" I said quietly, the only thing I could have said.

"answer me first" I sighed.

"I don't hate you, but I can't talk to you" He let me go, a little surprised. I took that chance to tie his bowtie to his shirt's collar. He came back to his senses when I started to turn from him. He watched me as I picked up the girls' clothes before picking up his clothes and following me.

"I hope you'll make it tonight; I want at least one dance with you" He whispered in my ear as he gave me his clothes and walked away.