"Beta!" Senpai called, placing a hand on his shoulder - which was immediately shaken off. Beta couldn't turn around or talk to him, it would give away his already failing disguise. Instead, he sped up even more and quickly made his way to the closest available door.

Beta froze when he realized he was in the public bathroom, he quickly went into a stall and locked it, Fred sitting in his lap silently in the meantime. Beta put his head into his hands, how could he allow this to happen?

Soon after, Senpai came into the room as well.

"Beta, please, I just wanna talk..." he spoke, his voice being gentle and quiet for now. Beta knew how pissy he could get, so he remained skeptical about his intentions. His younger brother recognized his shoes beneath the stall and leaned against the locked door.

"I just don't understand what's going on with you."

Fred looked up to Beta, his eyes snapping towards the door repeatedly, indicating that he should either open it or at least talk to him. His human didn't know what to do - if he stayed silent he knew Senpai would never leave and wait for him. He didn't have much of a choice.

"Go away." was the pathetic reply he could muster out, his lips felt like they were sealed shut by an immovable force. Fred shook his head in disappointment - so it wasn't his fault for pulling some emotional strings, it was Beta's own pride crashing down on him.

"I just want to help-" Senpai stopped himself upon recognizing the harsh tone he was speaking in, instead he took a deep breath in and out before continuing. "I'm not going to get you arrested if that's what you're worried about. I did see the news report, but I promise you - my first instinct was to worry about you. Please, Beta..."

"Senpai, just leave before you get yourself hurt," Beta spoke in a firm tone that was secretly filled with worry. He knew Fred couldn't hurt him - but hurting senpai was a different story. The entity constantly spoke of meaningless bonds, so it wasn't unlikely for him to just suck the life energy out of the people Beta loves.

"-The situation I'm in is a lot more complicated than you can imagine, it's best for you to just leave before you end up dead in a ditch somewhere."

Senpai froze at those words, clearly in shock at what he just heard.

"You're in the mafia?!" was the first thing he exclaimed. Fred had to hold back a laugh as Beta jumped in surprised.

"No! Idiot, I'm not!" Beta groaned in frustration.

"Are you in a gang? Was it a dare? Is your friend group bull-"

"Senpai, just shut up and leave!" he interrupted, a little bit too loud for Fred as he visibly recoiled. Beta patted his lemon shaped head in silent apology as Senpai stood still.

"Fine, but I'll be back! You're not getting rid of me that easily." Senpai responded back, his voice filled with annoyance and anger. Luckily for Beta, his little temper tantrum made him walk away rather instantly, clearly searching for some time off to think.

Beta exhaled a needed breath as he pulled a strawberry clock out of his backpack. Fred raised his eyes at this, he had never seen this obnoxious thing on Beta before.

"Fred, I think it's time for us to go."

"What is that thing?"

Beta's eyes widened and looked down before saying; "Sorry, it is a clock my dad gave me. I tend to pull it out when I get overwhelmed."

Fred decided to leave it at that.
                                  ———-
When Beta arrived inside his dorm he put Fred down more roughly than usually then proceeded to kick at the trash scattered around his room.