Chapter Four: Not Friends

I woke up with the worst headache I had had in a long time. Putting my hand on my forehead, I took a minute before I turned over to face the sun. 

But, instead of the sun, I felt someone's steady breaths against me, which made me open my eyes and immediately jump up. I looked at who was next to me. 

It was Hyunjin. 

And, suddenly, like a tsunami wave, the memories from yesterday came rushing through my mind and reminded me of how we kissed on the couch, how the kiss turned into something more, and how we decided to move to Hyunjin's apartment and how we... did the deed. 

The more I thought about it, the more I realized how much of a mess we had actually created. I briefly remembered saying something like "I will regret this in the morning" yesterday and, my god, was I correct because I was full of nothing else but regret. This wasn't just any random girl that we were talking about, this was Hyunjin, one of my closest, if not my closest friend, the one person I trust with almost everything. This one drunken mistake would change everything between us. 

But, as much as I hated to admit it, I began to remember how much I enjoyed the lingering feelings of her lips on mine, or on my skin. 

Friends don't make out. Neither do they end up sleeping together after a party. 

But, I didn't have feelings for Hyunjin. I mean, I promised myself to not fall for anyone, ESPECIALLY my best friend. I was pretty sure that she didn't have feelings for me, either. But, what happened yesterday, how we both got jealous over us kissing other people was... not something friends would do. 

I frequently hear the saying "drunk words are sober thoughts" and, in Kim Hyunjin's case, her drunk words were "I want you to kiss me". I suddenly found the cliche phrase very difficult to believe. Could it be possible that she thought about kissing me in her everyday life even once? 

I then realized that I have, indeed, thought about her in a not-so-friendly way in the past. I just ignored it. But, I didn't have romantic feelings for her. I just knew that. 

Or did I? 

My brain was sent down a spiral of thoughts that were so quick that I couldn't physically be in the room anymore. Without a second thought, I got out of bed, got dressed, and rushed towards the door. Before leaving, I turned around to take one glance at Hyunjin. She was sleeping peacefully, her pose not once changing ever since I woke up. I hated it, but it made me feel slightly warm inside. So, before I could sink more, I closed the door behind myself and rushed to our dorms. 

Hyunjin was one of those rare students whose parents actually had enough money to pay for her to rent an apartment near the college, so she didn't have to live in the dorms. So, instead of having to run a few floors, I now had to run through the street at 7 AM, loosely dressed and silently praying that Sooyoung wouldn't be home when I arrived and that she wouldn't ask questions about where I was for the whole night, either. 

I finally arrived at the building, sprinted up to my floor, and quietly unlocked the door. Much to my delight, my wishes had come true: Sooyoung wasn't home, and judging by how tidy everything looked, she hadn't come back either. I closed the door behind my back and let myself let out a deep breath of relief. I took a few minutes to let my heart calm down since I basically sprinted down two blocks and up three rows of stairs and then decided to change into my pajamas since I wanted Sooyoung to think that I spent the night at home. I even decided to lay down just to make it more believable. I moved the curtains, completely covering the sunlight and hoping that I would maybe be able to fall asleep again after a rocky night. 

As I was staring at the ceiling, I felt my mind crumbling under pressure again. I knew that what I did with Hyunjin would have consequences and I knew that she definitely wouldn't let it slide either. I decided to trace back everything once again, this time paying more attention to how we ended up kissing in the first place. I realized that I really wanted to kiss her at the time and, judging from how she was looking at me, the feelings were consensual.