Chapter 10: Ambushes

Follows both Lark and Ria

The dark early morning sky makes way for fluffy clouds and a blue sky, the three mounts are slowly descending over the academy. Much like every other new student Ria and Blaze are gaping at the sight in front of them, the sparkling blue water and the large castle. Dragons and wyverns are flying through the sky some with riders others without.

Lark watches the dragons and wyverns drift through the skies from the window in her room, the bright light that streamed through her window this morning woke her. She sat happily watching the mounts dive, glide or fire their elements.

o-o

Up above is Ria, her puffy eyes the only proof of her crying only a short time earlier.

With a mighty roar the three mounts land with loud thuds, Nuruu lands and lowers her body allowing everyone to dismount with ease. Ria places a squirming Titan on the ground who howls and runs laps around Nuruu, barking and stretching his stiff limbs. Blaze takes his and Ria's trunks off the clips on the saddle and places them on the floor.

"Thanks." Ria glances at Blaze and smiles sorrowfully, she still can't believe her parents aren't her real parents.

"All good," Blaze smiles and turns toward a yipping Titan. He's running around before coming back to Ria's side where he begins growling. Low and threateningly towards the trees bordering the campus.

"What's up Titan?" Ria bends down and scratches the wolf pup's head. He rumbles but doesn't stop growling and snarling into the tree line, almost as though saying danger.

A flash of brown and orange fur streaks towards Ria and Titan, completely bypassing the others, their gazes locked onto Ria. Ria, having hunted in the forests around her house and had encountered many wolves and other creatures she stays calm and draws her mother's sword.

She grips the sword and it feels almost like she's used the sword dozens of times, yet this is her first time wielding it. Holding the sword in her right hand she waits as the wolves file closer, a group of about 10 wolves snarls at her. Their hackles raised, everyone around just watches. The students are watching with interest and Blaze, Logan and Ryker are worrying. None of them know why no-one else is stepping in, all three guys step forward to help but are held back by other students.

"Ethan! Help her!" Blaze screams at Ethan who stands a few metres behind Ria, instead of helping he shakes his head and watches intently before stalking away.

Ria narrows her eyes at the wolves, calculating their every move. Having hunted in the woods near her house and having been hunted by many creatures she has learned to protect herself. To defend herself against many creatures at once.

The lead wolf, the pack's leader, she presumes possibly the alpha or maybe the beta or someone else high up steps forward growling. Titan who hasn't left Ria's side growls awaiting her command. Ria waits for the wolves to make their move before attacking, she needs to see how they fight as a group or if they fight as a group.

A snarl is emitted from the lead wolf and two wolves attack. Ria was ready for it and dodges the first wolf and hits the pummel of her sword into the other wolfs head, knocking it out cold. The first wolf turns on her growling low, and leaps again. Having calculated he would do this she kicks her leg out knocking the wolf out of the air but not before receiving a gash down the side of her shin.

She can't think of why the pack isn't attacking like a normal group of wolves and why no-one is helping her, she pushes all those thoughts to the side and breathes. Another wolf pounces from behind her, having snuck up while she was breathing. Lifting her blade to fight another wolf she sees the leaping wolf in the reflection of the blade and ducks. Pure luck having looked at her blade, but as she found earlier she almost understands the blade. Her reflexes kick in and she knocks out almost all the wolves, however she did receive a few nasty scratches and bite marks, blood runs down her face and covers some of her snow white hair.