Chapter Seventeen

October 2nd

I made my way to the deck, glad to be off the boat after two and a half days. I had brushed off the events of two nights ago as incredibly vivid dreams. I got those sometimes and they were honestly pretty weird. Airys was waiting by the side of the ship as we were about to pull into Summer's harbor. It was just before noon and we had made it ahead of schedule.

From what I could tell, the whole place was sand, sand, and more sand. Dunes crested the side of the walls that seemed to be made of sandstone. Even the buildings were sandstone and brick and all or most of the inhabitants were wearing headcovers to protect their skin from the onslaught of sand. It was then I noticed how hot I was and couldn't imagine how Airys was feeling in his all-black clothing.

"That is a lot of sand," I said, hoping to get a reaction from Airys.

He nodded, "I lived here as a kid," He looked around, surveying the area, "A lot had changed." His voice seemed dark and grim, "I went to Silktide on contract a few years ago." He changed his tone to something more lighthearted and I jumped on the chance to change the subject.

"Who for?"

"The cook and a noble in the Lady's court. I poisoned the noble's food and the cook was blamed for his death and thrown in the prison where he was executed so, win-win." He looked at me with a sideways grin.

We talked a little more as we pulled into the harbor. Gantar directed us to the Palace and we made our way through the city, "Atla, I have to walk behind you," Airys whispered to me, falling slightly behind my footsteps and keeping his head tipped to the ground.

"Why?" I whispered back.

"It is custom for the woman to lead the man. There is no such thing as equals in Narya. Women always stand forth above men, they fight the wars, run the government. The law dictates as such and it would be best to obey the customs here as guests," he said and I nodded. Sure enough, I could see men following women dressed in elegant clothing, holding bags or purses as a servant would.

I pressed on, leading the way through the crowd. The largest building was made of smooth sandstone and white clay carved with stylistic designs. That one had to be the palace.

"Queen Idondi said that the gate guards are expecting us, as are the Lady and Lord," Airys whispered to me, his eyes continuously trained on my ankles.

"You say you lived here but I know you were picked up by Ilezak when you were young, how did you end up in Dolonde?" I asked curiously.

"I, erm, I stumbled onto a boat and ended up wandering around until I accidentally fell into a well and found myself in the Sanctuary. That's pretty much it." Some part of me felt like that wasn't the truth but I didn't press the matter.

We were nearing the gates at this point. Airys had told me I would likely have to do all or most of the talking. The guard at the top of the wall above the closed portcullis called us to halt.

"Who goes there? The palace is closed to civilians!" she called down.

"My name is Atla. We are here—"

"—To see the Lady and Lord, yes, you are expected. Please enter!" she interrupted, waving to someone behind her and the portcullis began its ascent.

We stepped into the grounds and the metal gate closed behind us with a clang. Like in Atheria, we left our weapons at the gate. The recent assassination of the High King put all the royals on high alert.

The pathway was a smooth sandstone, carved from bricks. The garden wasn't as grand as that of Atheria but different colored sand lay strewn across the sides of the walkway in beautiful curves and spirals of color. We were escorted up the stairs to the palace, where the doors were opened by two guards standing at attention. I never felt more inferior in my life as I walked down that hall.