Chapter Four

November 2nd

The months passed as I grew stronger, faster, better. Bayah and I were now evenly matched and she no longer carved me up like a chicken. My scars were old and no new ones had joined the ranks of the others in weeks. The weather above ground was cooling, as were the tunnels and I had ditched my cool outfit for one with warmer lining. The torches on the wall blazed brighter and the fires in the fireplace were crackling merrily at all hours of the day. Talk of Lunmas had begun in the tunnels and a few of the others, led by Tercet, were beginning to decorate the tunnels with stringed lights.

Lunmas was the most celebrated holiday in Eravithian cultures that worshipped the Moon Goddess, Luna. While Sol was the first day of the week, the months of Luna, December and January were a huge deal, particularly in Skystead. We fondly celebrated Eclipse Festivals whenever both moons were full. Lunmas was no exception. Music, lights, festivals, parties, and dances were celebrated all December and January and the excitement was electrifying the chilly air, even in the tunnels beneath Dolonde.

Bayah and I were in the library, studying the tunnels, which I had now memorized like the back of my hand. She had me mentally walk through them one by one, telling me to start at the secret entrance near the arena and find my way back to the hideout or from the stables sewer entrance back to the entrance by the docks. It was a good exercise and Bayah had fun smacking me with a book every time I made a wrong turn, if at all.

It was a week like any other, a cool Chance evening and Airys walked in the room where Bayah and I were, dark and brooding as usual.

"Good morning, ladies," he greeted, walking in with a small swagger as he did so.

Bayah glanced at me, then at him, grinning, "Mornin' Boss. Care to sit?"

He gave a small smile to my mentor, "Don't worry, I won't be long. I'm here to talk to Atla." Bayah grinned at me, her eyes squinting slightly. I wanted to smack her as I turned my attention to Airys. "Your trainers tell me that they think you are ready? How do you feel about it?" he asked, looking at me,

Goddess, his eyes were so intense it made my insides melt. Oh, ew. Don't think that. He's your boss...Right? "I feel confident," I said.

His mouth split into a charming half-smile, the corner of his lips upturned just slightly, "Your Trial is to be set for next week. I know you will do well." He inclined his head to Bayah, glanced towards me, and strolled from the room, his hands clasped behind his back.

"Well that was rather awkward," Bayah said honestly, turning to me. I was still staring after him. When I looked back at her, her eyes were narrowed as she peered into my eyes, bearing down on my soul.

"What?" I asked defensively.

"Do you really not—never mind." She shook her head dismissively.

I didn't press the subject. Bayah released me from my lesson a little earlier than usual so I could go take my bath in the spring before supper.

We had a list of who got to bathe on which day and when. I had Chance evening to bathe for as long as I wanted. With a towel draped over my arm, a change of clothes, and a small wash rag in one hand, I made my way through the hallways to the spring once more, where I peeled off all my clothes and slipped into the water.

The spring was warmer than expected. Bayah told me it was fueled by the Sanctuary's magic that kept it cool in the summer and warm in the winter months. It was comfortable, sitting neck-deep on a submerged rock scrubbing the dirt from my skin. It was then I noticed a squirrel poke its head from a bush and stare at me.

I stared back. Then I reached down, picked up a rock, and flung it at the animal. It bounced on the ground beside it and the squirrel disappeared, chattering angrily. It reappeared from the bush, still chattering.

It was then I noticed the squirrel had three claw mark scars over the left eye. The same claw marks as— "Kodiak!" I snarled.

The squirrel scrambled away, into the bush. Suddenly, I heard laughter as I quickly sank farther below the water, covering myself as best I could and retreating to the opposite side of the spring. Kodi stood up and walked over to the edge of the water, still laughing heartily, "You." He gasped for air. "Should see...your face," He laughed harder, clutching his side.

"You should see your face after I've finished with it!" I threatened.

His laughter died. "Easy now, it was all for fun. And I closed my eyes when you undressed so I didn't see anything. I promise," he swore to me, holding out a pinkie to prove his sincerity.

I narrowed my eyes at him and he cowered a little. Then he turned around and sat, his back facing me, "Okay, but I am here to talk to you," he admitted.

I continued my bath, "Okay, what about?"

"Your training. How is it?" he asked.

"Going well. Airys says that I'm ready. My Trial is set for next week," I told him.

"Really?" he sounded incredulous, "So soon? Well, it makes a little sense. You're already good at this; you were just rusty." He was right. "It took most of us a good four to five months to get to where Airys said we were ready. He must like you," Kodi said.

"So, it's just because he likes me and not because I am actually good at this and I have worked for it?" I said, smiling behind his back so he couldn't see.

"I-I didn't mean—Atla—"

"Kodi? Relax." I laughed. "I'm just kidding. Do me a favor and hand me my towel."

He offered it out to me without looking and I dried off. Then, I had him hold it up as a changing room while I got into my fresh clothes. He didn't peek the whole time and I felt proud of him. Sygnet had told me it was a common event for the changeling to spy on the women while they bathed but he never peeked. Kodi told me that was part of the fun and the mystery. "You know, it leaves room for imagination." he grinned as I told him he could put the towel down. I used it to dry the wavy strands of my darkened and damp red hair.

He offered to walk me back to my room and we chatted aimlessly as we went. We ran into Airys as he left his room and he stared between the two of us, his face sullen and still as always but his eyes still dancing mischievously. "Good evening. I hope your bath went well," he told me, then headed off down the hall, towards the spring.

"That was awkward. Even for him," Kodi mumbled to me and kept walking. I glanced back at Airys, who was retreating slowly, and then I hurried after Kodi before he left me.

He left me at my room, bowing sarcastically, gave me a wink, and disappeared down the tunnel, hands clasped behind his back, bouncing his steps slightly and whistling a tune. The notes were resonant in the tunnel and sounded like crystal clear glass, "Zei and their stupid ears," I mumbled, jealous of his whistling talent.

The noise halted. "Those stupid ears can also hear how stupid you sound," Kodi called back. I blushed, opening my mouth to come up with a comeback and when none came to my lips, I turned and retreated into my room, closing the door behind me.

I spent the evening brushing my hair and going over last-minute studying for the week's tasks ahead. Bayah eventually retrieved me for dinner and I ate it quickly and then excused myself to continue my work.

The grouped assassins—minus Tercet who was on a mission but would return the next day—all wished me luck for the next morning. Hopefully, the tests would come quickly but I doubted they would be any less difficult. It would be a long week indeed and after studying for some time, I decided to get some sleep before the chaos of it all began. I believed I was ready and so did Bayah, Airys, and Flax, and my other trainers. They had confidence in me, so why should I not have the same?