Chapter 32

The dealer, Tomas, took Rory and Ryder to the trailer behind the diner and tied them to rickety old chairs. Stepping away to make a call he eyed them from the other end of the trailer.

"You're an idiot." She hissed trying to kick Ryder despite her legs being bound. "This is a job, I'm not really buying drugs."

"A job?" He pulled a confused face and looked back at the dealer. "What are you some fucking detective now?"

She blew her bangs from her eyes with a big puff of air. "It doesn't matter. Whatever you do, Ryder, don't say anything okay? Just keep your mouth shut."

"What's your real name, bitch?" Tomas shouted at her and hurled a half empty can of beer in her direction. "I know it ain't Michelle."

Remaining silent only pissed him off more. Tomas ended the call, charged over and slapped her. "You want to tell me anything or do I have to check you for ink?"

"Don't hurt her," Ryder protested. His attempt only garnered him an elbow to the nose. He hollered as blood ran down his face.

"Now tell me, bitch."

Rory was terrified at this point but she kept her eyes on the floor. Cursing, he forcefully checked her arms and lower legs then pushed her forward, the rope digging into her wrists, and lifted the back of her shirt.

"Jesus," he hissed and dropped the fabric of her T-shirt. "Looks like you pissed off more than just me."

--

"Emma," Happy huffed annoyed and upset. "Come on baby, what's wrong?"

The only response he received was another bloodcurdling scream followed by more sobs and wailing. Holding her, little Emma's head buried in his neck, Happy paced the living room watching as the time grew later.

He didn't know what to do or who to turn to for help. Rory wasn't answering his calls and he has a sick feeling something was very wrong wherever she was.

"We gotta find Mommy." He tried to speak softly but the words still sounded gravely and rough. "Emma we gotta go, girl, come on."

--

Tomas left the trailer and Rory dropped her head back. "I hate you." She growled at Ryder.

"Why isn't your ex here? Shouldn't he have stopped this before it even started?" The blood was now dried to his face and shirt, his voice was nasally signaling that it was probably broken.

"I don't know where he is but he better fucking hurry. That asshole saw my back, he knows." Her voice cracked and her chest heaved as she tried not to cry. "We're in trouble, Ryder."

"We're gonna be fine." He said softly. "What the fuck did happen to your back? Shit, I never saw scars like that."

"Fuck you." She spat as the trailer door opened and Benny stepped in. "Oh fuck," it was just a whisper. She was terrified of what Benny would do.

"God, Rory, I am so sorry." Benny hurried to her and cut the ropes, hers first and then Ryder's. "I'm guessing Happy doesn't know?"

Her eyes went wide and she nodded. "No. Hence the fake name."

"I didn't know you were using, girl." He pulled a Baggie of coke out of his cut and started tapping out lines. "I won't tell him, take a few hits as an apology."

Rolling her ankles and wrists she shot Ryder a look to keep his mouth shut. "I think this has made it clear I need to stop."

"No one ever really stops." He smiled and handed her the ceramic, four lines neatly running across. "Go on. It's pure."

He was testing her, Rory knew that. She smiled and nodded. "That's what I was hoping for, why I started coming here."

Trying to play back all the times she'd seen people do cocaine in movies and real life she snorted the line. Her nose burned so terribly that her eyes began to water. The coke dripped down into her throat and made her gag but she worked to keep it at a minimum.

"Thanks." She sniffled and squeezed her nose. "I need to go."

"One more. What about your friend?"

"He's fine, we're both fine, but thanks."

"One. More." Benny said threateningly. "That first line won't really hit you for about ten minutes, but you already knew that, so give it a boost."

Rory ended up doing four lines of cocaine before Benny let her leave. She was dizzy and the urge to vomit grew stronger as Ryder helped her to his car.

"I'll take you home." He said as he buckled her seatbelt.

"I'm scared," she began to cry as he turned out of the lot.

"You'll be okay." He put his hand on her knee. "I've done coke, it's intense but you'll be okay. That asshole is right, it doesn't hit you fully right away."

She nodded as her brain grew fuzzy and her hands began to shake. "Just take me home and please do not go to the cops."