Chapter Thirteen

Sang:

“Which one of you is Mr. Blackbourne?” Marie asks.

My eyes fly to Owen as he raises his hand. “That would be me, Miss Sorenson.”

“Well, I got a phone call last night from this kind man, asking me to come to Charleston as there are some things I needed to know about my father.” Marie shrugs.

“Any daughter would be suspicious as to what their father is up to, especially after not being around much for years and then all of a sudden, boom, showing up. I heard daddyo here tell my Mom that he had told someone called Sang that they were on a business trip.”

Marie shakes her head. “I thought it was another girlfriend, so expect my surprise when I question my mother on it last night while I was packing a bag. This Sang is my sister, the reason my mother wouldn’t have my father living at home with us while I was growing up. I then go on to learn that I also have an older brother, thanks to the files Mr. Blackbourne emailed me which I read on my trip over here.”

My father has lied to everyone.

Marie continues. “I had been sitting outside in my car for almost an hour, finding the courage to come in and find out the what the hell was going on. But then I saw daddy here...” She waves her hand at our father. “...pulling his car into the driveway and walking into the house. That’s when I realized that whatever was going on was going to get sorted right now.”

Marie takes a few steps closer. “I got out of my car, walked up the steps and saw the front door open. I walked right on in and heard everything you just said.” She locks her eyes onto our father. “So basically, the reason I am here is because, like Sang, my other sister and older brother that I don’t know the names of yet, I want to know the truth. I want to stop being lied to.”

“My life has nothing to do with you, any of you.” My father spits.

“It has everything to do with us when it involves us.” Marie argues. “So start explaining.”

“The first thing you can explain is why you raped my mother, our mother.” Melody says, her eyes hard and cold as she looks at the man we share blood with.

Marie lets out a nasty, dry laugh. “So, whenever my mother argued with you when I was growing up, everything she said about you being a monster who rapes women...”

“Girls.” Melody corrects. “My mother was sixteen.”

“Girls...” Marie corrects. “Was true. Wow, you really are a fucking horrible monster. You don’t deserve the title ‘dad’.”

“I never raped your mother.” My father says, looking between me and Melody. The boys stand close behind me. I can feel myself in their bubble, the bubble that tells me I’m safe, no matter what. “She begged for it and I just gave it to her.”

“You sick, nasty bastard.” Melody spits.