Chapter One

The sun streaming through my bedroom window wakes me. With a grumble, I climb out of bed and go straight to my wardrobe, grabbing a pair of shorts and a tank top before heading to the bathroom. I take a quick shower, brush my teeth, pull my hair up into a pony and dress before making my way down stairs.

In the kitchen I can’t help the surprised look that comes over my face when I see my father sitting at the breakfast bar with a cup of coffee in hand. “Oh, I didn’t realise you was home.” I say. I make my own way to the coffee pot and poor myself a coffee in my favourite Cinderella cup. I’m a sucker for Disney.

“I only came home to get some more of my belongings and then I’m of again.” He says. He closes the newspaper that was laying before him and gives his whole attention to me. “Listen...Sang...” Oh no, this does not sound good. “I’ve met someone and she wants me to move in with her.”

I’m not surprised by this. We have been living in this house down Sunnyvale Court for almost two years now and I’ve seen less of my father more and more. At the end of the day, it’s always been me and my father. My Father’s first wife took of with my older sister Marie because I’m the result of a one night stand and My sister’s Mother didn’t like it and didn’t like me. My father couldn’t abandon me, especially with not having a biological mother, so it’s always been me and him.

I’ll be eighteen in a couple of months and now I have finally graduated from Ashley Waters I don’t need to worry about school. I can take off, go to college and start being even more independent then what I already am. Truth is, even though my father didn’t abandon me, he still leaves and has done for as long as I can remember. However, he always comes back.

Now though he’s met someone else, I know he’s not. “You’re leaving for good?” I ask.

He nods his head slowly. “Yeah I am. Your mother asked me to raise you and that is what I have done. You’ve grown up into a beautiful, intelligent young women and I am proud to call you my daughter...” Clearly not, I say to myself. He’s leaving me. “...But I want this with this lady I have met. She doesn’t have kids, nor does she want to be responsible for one.” I roll my eyes. I can’t help it. I’m not one of those teenagers that go around searching for trouble. If anything, I don’t do a lot at all. I’ve always stayed out of trouble and kept myself to myself. It’s the best way.

“You can stay here until your eighteenth birthday...” He continues. “After then I’ll sell the house, give you half of the money along with the bank account I have been putting savings in for you since you were born. Spend it wisely and your set up for life. Go to college. Get a job. Get a boyfriend as long as he treats you right and start a life, Sang, without me.”

For some reason, the thought of him being gone for the rest of my life doesn’t at all bother me. He’s walked in and out of my life ever since I was born, it’s something I’m used to but maybe now I could stop worrying when he’ll be home and when I’ll next to get to see him. I know he loves me, he just doesn’t love me as much as he should, like a father is suppose to love a daughter. “What about the bills and food?” I ask.

“I’ll make sure to pay the bills...” he stands and pulls his wallet from his pocket. Opening it, he retrieves a bank card. “Use this for the time being for any food. I’ll get it cut of on your birthday.” I nod my head and just stare at the card as he places it on the counter. “I’m going to get my stuff and then I’ll be on my way.”

My father walks down the hall to his bedroom and returns a few moments later with two suitcase and a duffle hanging of his shoulder. He walks towards the door. “Leave your key.” I find myself saying. “Your leaving this house to me until I’m eighteen. I don’t want you walking back in when you please. So leave your key.”