Chapter Twelve

Sang

I climb out of bed and over the bodies that lay on my floor until I’m out in the hall. I pad down the stairs and go into the kitchen. I make a coffee, adding an extra couple of sugars just for the rush. I sit down at the table and just stare at the phone. Why I chose this object to stare at, I wasn’t sure until the meaning came to my head.

I need to talk to him.

I take a sip of my coffee before placing it down on the table and getting up from my chair. I go over to the phone and pick it up in my hand, typing in the number I have for some reason learned off by heart.

I put the phone to my ear, listening to the dialing tone and the three rings before he answers. “What is it, Sang?”

“I need you to come home, Dad.” The word ‘dad’ tastes horrible coming from my mouth. I feel like running up stairs, getting the soap and washing my mouth out, as if 'dad' was a bad word. But then, soap doesn't seem like it would do the trick, maybe bleach?

“Why? I don’t have time for this.”

“I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again.” I inhale a slow breath. “You need to come home and you need to come home today. If you don’t, I’ll just come find you. There are some things we need to discuss.”

“And what is it we need to discuss?”

“You’ll see.” Is all I say before hanging up the phone and placing it back in its cradle. I glare at the phone for a good few minutes before I feel arms coming around my waist. I jump a little but quickly find myself relaxing into them knowing that it’s one of the nine guys that slept in my room last night.

I wonder if they realize that they are quickly stealing my heart away from me, splitting it up between them evenly.

“Over the last two years, I have wondered about you.” Kota whispers in my ear. “I have wondered what sort of upbringing you had, what your favorite color is and who is your favorite band. I also wondered if you were strong, as strong as what I had heard from my Mom and what Uncle had told us about you.”

“And?” I whisper, turning around to look up at him and into his eyes.

“My Mom told me that you were beautiful, kind-hearted and high spirited. She said that your smile could light up the room and that you were intelligent.

She said that you have these shadows of sadness in your eyes, shadows that she has seen in the eyes of my brothers, my sister, me and herself. The word that sang to me was the word ‘strong.’”

Tears start to sting my eyes.

“My Mom said that the girl across the street didn’t show strength. She then told me that if a girl doesn’t show strength, it means it’s secretly hiding deep down inside of her. A girl who doesn’t show she is strong is the girl who can take on the world.”

A tear slips free from my eyes and Kota brings a hand up to cup my cheek in his hand, wiping the tear away with his thumb.