CHAPTER 52

For hours, Chakotay led the group along the seemingly never-ending track, hearing the bare, muddy earth squelch beneath his boots, while the group grew wearier and more disheartened as they trudged through the mud and drenching soot-stained rain.

Lifting his feet higher, he scraped off some of the caked mud stuck to the soles of his boots. He had no idea of the actual distance between the Anawin City and the Dimar colony, but his legs told him they'd been walking all day and so far he'd only found four of Masson's markers.

Reaching out his hand, Chakotay traced a triangular shape carved into the base of a tree. He recognized it immediately as Masson's sixth marker. Somehow, he must have missed one.

"It can't be too much further," he said.

"You said that before, when you found the last symbol," Tayna said.

Chakotay smiled. He could remember complaining similarly when he was just a boy.

***

"Are we there yet, Father?" the young Chakotay asked, as he bent down and untangled his legs from yet another set of intertwining reeds that had roped around his boots.

"You must be patient, Chakotay," Kolopak's voice echoed back.

Chakotay hadn't wanted to come on this journey. He'd been quite happy to stay at home, safe with his mother, warm and dry, away from the harsh rain that pelted against his face and the swampy ground that threatened to engulf his boots and steal them from his blistered feet. He saw no reason for the treks his father insisted he endure - seemingly endless quests, which didn't invoke even the slightest spark of interest in the customs of his ancestors.

"But I have been patient, Father. I've been patient for three days, and still we keep on walking."

Kolopak lifted a quietening finger to his lips; Chakotay fell silent. His father had heard something and he trusted his father's instincts far more than his own. The thought heightened his senses to every sound around him.

"Don't move!" his father spoke and Chakotay froze where he stood. Suddenly his torso was lifted into the air. His father held him suspended above the rippling, muddy swamp, while a giant water boa weaved its way through his father's legs. Kolopak knew how much his young son hated snakes.

The grown-up Chakotay lifted Tayna onto his shoulders, wishing his father was there in the Anawin forest to guide them. His father had been a much better scout; he would never have missed the fifth symbol.

Chakotay pointed through the forest of dense trees to the steep hill in the distance. He hoped Masson's seventh marker might be easier to find than the last one. The weather grew angrier while he continued to lead the others on their trek through the forest of tall straight trees, which provided little shelter from the lightning flashes and harsh downpour of black rain.

Finally they reached the steep hillside. Paris rubbed the burning muscles in his legs and commented he could do with a dose of Klingon stamina. Chakotay agreed and dug his soggy boots into the slippery ground as he carried Tayna up the wet grassy slope.

At the peak of the hill, the group stopped to catch their breaths. Treetops littered the landscape below and seemingly marched into the distance as far as they could see. Some of the trees were smoldering, presumably struck by lightning.

Paris shared a look of hopelessness with the captain. They were both concerned that they might not make it to the Dimar colony before Ensign Hamilton and Seven returned with the Delta Flyer.

As they continued to walk along the track, Chakotay studied the landscape around him. The forest echoed with wildlife. He could hear the sound of falling rain, rumbling thunder, animal calls and the strong wind rustling the leafy treetops. Beside him, he could even hear Paris panting lightly. Lifting his hand, he signaled for quiet.

Paris stared at him, puzzled.

Chakotay placed Tayna on the ground and Janeway took her hand to keep her still. Slowly, he turned around. He untied the sonic disrupter from around his waist and signaled for everyone to step behind him. With his disrupter raised, he spun rapidly to his right.

"Don't shoot. It's just me!"

Chakotay trained his weapon on the red uniformed guard who had stepped out from behind a tree not too far away.

"Masson, what are you doing here?" Chakotay asked and lowered his disrupter in response to the familiar face.

"I can't believe you made it this far, so soon. That must have been some journey," Masson said.

Chakotay followed his gaze to the captain. She was dripping wet. Strands of wet hair were plastered to her face and her cream dress was torn and splattered with mud. Paris also looked like a drowned rat and his clothes were shredded and stained. Chakotay looked down at his own ragged wet clothes. Together they smelt of sweat, ash, blood and sea salt. The trek had been treacherous and they all looked a lot worse for wear.

Chakotay stared at Masson. His clothes were dry and pristine, as if he'd just stepped off a shuttle. If they had reached the Dimar colony - where were all the people? Chakotay wondered if he'd missed the seventh marker. Then his gut began to churn. Suddenly he didn't feel so comfortable about Masson being there, in his spotless red uniform.

"How did you get here?" Chakotay asked with a hint of suspicion in his tone.

As if on cue, a second guard stepped out into the clearing, his weapon raised.

Tayna instantly scrambled up into Janeway's arms.

"I don't want to die," Tayna said.

"Don't worry. We won't let anyone hurt you," Janeway replied.

"I'm sorry, Chakotay, but I'll have to take your weapon now," Masson said. He reached for the sonic disrupter.

Chakotay tightened his hold on the disrupter and continued to stare at the two guards. They were both armed. As the only away team member with a weapon in his hands, he was reluctant to part with it.

Masson stood in front of him with his fingers outstretched. The other guard stepped toward Tayna and tried to grab her.

Janeway only had one free arm, but she used it very effectively. She sent the weapon in the guard's hand flying and broke his wrist, all in one action. It was something Chakotay had only ever seen Seven do.

The tall guard cursed and clutched his hand tight, while he scrambled over the wet ground searching for his weapon.

"That evens things up a bit," Chakotay commented, as Masson lifted his disrupter and flicked the firing mechanism. They were replaying the scene in the crypts, only this time they both circled each other slowly with their disrupters raised and ready to fire.

"This is pointless. Hand over your weapon. I don't want to kill you," Masson said and again put out his hand.

Chakotay ignored his request.

"Chakotay, your death wouldn't even earn me a plaque in the Anawin City," Masson continued. "When I die, I want a massive stone statue erected to remind everyone of my heroic martyrdom. So think about it. If you force me to fire this weapon, you won't be the one I'll be taking with me." With the words, he raced forward and took aim at the captain. "Are you prepared to take that risk, Chakotay?" Masson shouted. "At this range, I might even take out both of them with one shot, then all your efforts will be for nothing!"

Chakotay instantly lowered his disrupter.

"You made the right choice," Masson said and took the weapon from Chakotay's fingers. He threw it over to the other guard. The tall guard still hadn't located the disrupter he'd lost. Then Masson turned to face the captain. "Concealed weapons too," he said, and Janeway and Paris retrieved the phasers hidden inside their clothing.

Chakotay looked at him squarely. He'd been completely fooled by the guard's clever deception. Masson indicated for the group to follow him. The other guard took up the rear as they walked in single file, continuing their descent down the slippery hillside.