CHAPTER 47

Chakotay looked up at the thick black clouds that drifted overhead. The clouds were outlined with red from the wall of flames devouring the west section. Inwardly, he questioned whether night was ever going to settle on the blazing city, as he tried to spot the sun he knew was setting somewhere behind the choking smoke.

His duty had finished with the disbanding of the men. He saw Paris sneak back into the priory, while he walked over to the other side of the building and watched the Anawin women endure the same ritual the men had just gone through. He heard the sound of intermittent disrupter fire; alongside it was the familiar thud of bodies falling to the ground. Zeron had once again taken up the challenge of weeding out the impure.

Chakotay searched the huddled group of women and children for the captain. He'd lost sight of her when the population had been divided by gender.

He walked around and through the crowd, studying the bodies that lay on the ground. Still he couldn't find her. He'd asked Masson if he could help her, and Masson said he'd try if the opportunity presented. Suddenly he realized he had also lost sight of Masson. Not able to locate either Masson or Janeway, he chose to regard the situation positively and turned back toward the family quarters of the priory.

"Sunset yet?" Masson's voice greeted Chakotay as he walked through the door to Tayna's bedroom.

"Almost," Chakotay replied, glancing around the room, surprised that everyone was there.

Paris lay stretched out on his stomach on Tayna's bed, his newly cauterized shoulder bared and the skin glowing red-raw.

Masson and Janeway balanced on the edge of the other bed and continued their conversation, while Tayna sat on the wooden floor with her head resting on her knees.

"Ready to go?" Chakotay asked the group.

Masson reached out his hand to help Janeway stand up; she smiled and accepted his token gesture. Chakotay knew her acceptance of Masson's hand was a good indication she'd spent enough time with him to ease her concerns about their survival status as fugitives of the Anawin City.

Chakotay recalled an earlier conversation with the guard.

"I'll admit being one of Zeron's favored attendants has its advantages. It's a good position for me. It allows me access to covert information," Masson had said.

Chakotay wondered whether Masson had shared the same information with the captain, as well as explaining the reason for his allegiance to the Dimar. Chakotay had learnt a lot about the Anawin race from Masson. He appreciated the man's willingness to speak so openly, although he did sense Masson was always careful with his choice of words.

The only part of their conversation that had truly surprised him was Masson's curiosity about Voyager's whereabouts. The nervous feeling he got when Masson mentioned Voyager was similar to the sensation he'd felt when Janeway initially interacted with Zeron on the bridge. His senses let him know that, although he had to rely on Masson, he couldn't completely trust the man.

Chakotay was anxious to leave the family quarters. He wanted to get everyone through the tunnel in the boundary wall, while Zeron was still preoccupied with searching for impure Anawins outside the priory. Although he didn't let on, he was very worried about this next part of their journey.

"The corridor is clear. We should go now," Chakotay said, moving to lead the group down the long hallway.

At the end of the corridor was a large draping curtain, which Masson pulled back to reveal a door. He pushed the heavy door ajar and planted his boot in the gap to keep it from shutting.

"Will you be joining us?" Janeway asked him.

"No, I'm scheduled for a meeting with the High Councilor later this evening," Masson replied. He handed Chakotay the fraying knapsack he always carried with him. "You'll need this. I wish you all luck." Masson nodded at the group, then he walked away, leaving Chakotay to guide them into the darkness.