CHAPTER 45

Masson packed away his few belongings, slung his knapsack over his arm and tapped Chakotay on the shoulder.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

Chakotay relinquished the tight hold he had on his phaser cannon. He followed Masson, jumping down onto the adjoining wall and then into the familiar darkness of the stairs that led to the crypts.

There was a narrow path that continued on from the base of the stairs. Masson halted his footsteps once they reached the fairly flat ground, and the two collided in the blackness. Only then did Masson pull out a lantern from his knapsack and light it.

The lantern glowed bright. Chakotay could see the delineation between the stone wall and the bare earth that signaled they'd be heading underground from that point on. Masson handed over his lantern.

"What are you planning to do?" Chakotay asked.

"You'll see," Masson replied cryptically.

Chakotay watched Masson take a few steps sideways, before he lunged at the solid earthen wall. His aim was dead on and a small crack of light appeared in the wall. Masson had taken the brunt of the impact with his shoulder and he clutched at it for a moment. A cover rattled and fell away from the wall, revealing a long, sloping, man-made tunnel that had been crudely carved through the solid earth and stone. There was light streaming into the far end of the tunnel suggesting a way out. Chakotay was pleased such an exit from the city existed, but he had serious doubts about whether he'd be able to fit his body inside the tiny circular space.

"Do you have the mark?" Masson asked, reclaiming his lantern.

"The Alum bird symbol?" Chakotay checked. Masson nodded. The gaunt-faced guard then pulled his skinny body into the hole and began to shuffle along the tunnel.

"Don't forget to seal the tunnel behind you!" Masson shouted.

Chakotay heard Masson's voice as he stood staring at the entrance to the tunnel. The guard was tall, but lean, and he looked uncomfortably cramped inside the tiny space.

Placing one foot inside the hole, Chakotay levered his body inside. The gray earth closed in around him. The entrance to the tunnel was a tight fit, but somehow he managed to squeeze through. He did worry he might get stuck somewhere along the tunnel's length if it got any smaller, but he knew he had to try. Once inside the circular hole, he reached for the cover and resealed the end.

He glided backward. His stomach was pressed against the hard earth, while he used his hands to push himself along. The tunnel seemed to stretch on forever, still he propelled himself backward, only faintly aware the rough surface had grazed and torn the palms of his hands.

The tunnel was unevenly dug out. Chakotay sucked in a breath and squeezed through a narrow section. The rest of the hole was a little wider, and in places he found he was able to crawl along on his hands and knees.

With each backward movement, the tunnel grew brighter until Chakotay felt his feet touch air and his legs began to fall. His boots eventually made contact with the ground. Finally his body was free of the cramped space.

Chakotay shook some water from his boots - he'd landed in a little pool of seawater. His feet were wet and his socks squelched with every step he took. He turned to see Masson, who was standing on the beach beside two other red uniformed guards. The guards appeared to be checking him out with obvious caution.

Unsure what he was meant to do next, Chakotay walked the shoreline and tried to make it look like he wasn't eavesdropping on the guards' conversation. The beachfront was magnificent, with pure white sand and crystal clear waters. Only one object spoiled the landscape. It was a bronze ship that had been parked just a few meters away.