-|04|-

ASHLYN's POV:

"I gave the right answer, but I failed."

My eyes shot open as I heard the whispers around me. Some candidates were coming out from a corner of the building; indicating they didn't manage to pass the exam.

They gave the right answer but they failed? Dude?

They weren't permitted to say what the actual test was, but they were free to unveil their outcome. What kind of sorcery is this? What's happening here?

I can't just gamble on this one and say a wrong answer to see if it works. It won't be worth it.

Damn it.

I kept on pondering on different scenarios about what could the test possibly be but nothing seemed to fit in; everything I thought of felt absurd. As if the world was moving at a very fast pace, it was my turn to go in before I knew it.

"This way, ma'am," The guard in charge for the second test politely guided as I gave him a small bow.

Do they have different sets of guards for every test? These guards seem more polite than the ones from the first test.

Or maybe I'm just blind.

Soon, my feet carried me to a separate area— more like a tent.

I stood outside of the tent as another candidate came out of it with a sad face. Fidgeting with my fingernails, I anxiously stood rooted on my spot until they called me in.

There were two examiners: a man in his early-30s and a girl in her mid-20s. A table stood proudly before the man— roughly around 76x152 centimetres — with a bright orange tablecloth covering it. On top of it lay a deck of cards nicely stacked together. As soon as the male spotted me, he began shuffling the cards, giving me a small smile.

"Stand closer to the table, Ruan-ssi." The girl chirped, but I didn't move.

"Ruan-ssi? You're candidate number 302, Lee Ruan, right?" She asked, checking a list of names nearby.

Shoot, I forgot I'm Ruan!

"Yes, sorry about that. I spaced out a little." I smiled at her, making her nod in acknowledgement.

Moving closer to the table, I focus on the deck of cards, waiting for further instructions. The guy spread the shuffled cards on the table.

"Pick one," He instructed. Nodding, I picked one and turned it over.

"8 of spades," I replied to his questioning gaze.

"Okay. Now I need you to keep your eyes on this card," He pulled the card out of my grip before continuing, "as I re-shuffle it smaller amounts."