CHAPTER 3: HE'S BACK

I stayed to myself on the train. I'd been doing the best I could to avoid everyone. I didn't feel like answering questions. I needed some time. Draco gave me space, but came back for the last part of the ride. "Once I get you back to the Manor, you'll start to feel better," he predicted. But something told me it was going to get worse.

I was staying at Malfoy Manor with Draco for the time being because with my mother being dead and my father being in Azkaban, Draco's mother, Narcissa, being my mother's best friend, quickly decided that I would stay at Malfoy Manor with them until graduation, after learning I had had to spend a break in an orphanage.

It was only in the summers and really, I didn't mind. It was nice. Narcissa treated me like the daughter she never had and I got to be with Draco, who I have not only grown up with but was actually my favourite person when it was just us and he isn't terrorizing other people especially Harry Potter. That got embarrassing sometimes.

Lucius Malfoy, on the other hand, was by far the most intimidating man I have ever met. Usually when I stay at the Manor, I avoid him at all costs. He makes me extremely nervous and I generally end up cowering in his presence.

But I couldn't avoid him long, as he and Narcissa were waiting for our train to arrive. Once everything was settled, it was decided that Narcissa would take Draco home, but I was to accompany Lucius.

Fear crossed my face. I looked to Draco who only shrugged. Once they were gone, Lucius turned to me. "Do you know what this is about?"

I shook my head, trying to hide my terror. He moved in closer to me. I could hear the heavy raindrops, that I had created out of fear, pelting against the window. Speaking lowly, he was only inches from my face and I feared he could hear my heart pounding. "That was you at the graveyard that night," he stated. I said nothing and let him continue. "The Dark Lord has requested a meeting with you. I'm to take you to him right away."

I began to shake. "A meeting... to kill me?" My voice was barely audible as I spoke.

"I don't think it has to go that far," he commented. "Of course, if you mess up, he won't hesitate." He sighed, slightly annoyed at my hesitance. "Just don't do anything stupid." He squeezed the bridge of his nose and then grabbed my arm kind of harshly and we apparated without any warning.

It made my head spin and I found the urge to vomit but swallowed it back and took a deep breath.
We landed in a dark house, in front of a large door. Then Lucius knocked and soon the door was opened by a small, frightened looking man.

"Lucius! It's so wonderful to see you back so soon with the girl in tow." I entered the room and stared at You-Know-Who from across the room. My heart was pounding. There was a lump in my throat that made breathing difficult. I couldn't think of another time I had been this frightened. I was horrified.

The Dark Lord gestured to an empty seat on his left. "Come, sit, Girl." He saw my hesitancy. "No worries, I have no plans to hurt you. Yet. Come." He commanded creepily.

I made my way slowly to sit by him. It was like my legs were made of jelly. I knew I was trembling. I couldn't stop it. He looked me over. "You're lucky that you survived the graveyard. If we'd known you were there, we would have killed you like the other boy."

My heart sank, but I remained silent. "What's your name, girl?"
"Amie Hawthorne."

"You're a Hawthorne. Your father served me well in the past. I only hope that one day you will be as loyal and useful to me, if not more, than your father was." He chuckled. "Maybe it's a good thing that we didn't kill you that night. You're a Slytherin at Hogwarts, I understand?" I nodded.

He studied me a moment longer. "You are one of a handful of people who know for sure that I've returned. People are doubting Potter's claims, and if people don't believe him, it gives me more time to get my affairs in order.