07. Husbands

"Thank you for your presence and condolences, Your Majesty" said Wat.

The Faateh had dispersed in preparation to start moving out. Badulf's ashes had been collected in an urn that Wat held in his hands.

"Your father was an opponent I may have only ever met on the battlefield under different circumstances. But sometimes it takes imminent mortality to find a common purpose and mutual respect" said King Dimitris graciously.

"My apologies, Your Majesty, I cannot escort you back to the Keep. Duty calls" said Wat, looking genuinely sorry.

"Not at all, General. I know my way around these parts" said the King with a twinkle in his eye.

"I'll ride with you, Uncle Dim. I have something I wish to seek your advice about" said Tine. King Dimitris nodded and signalled for his horse to be brought around.

Wat looked searchingly at Tine, wondering if it had something to do with the events of the morning.

"Hafza has asked me to meet her at the western end of the camp in an hour's time" said Tine, turning to Wat.

"It might take me longer. Go on ahead with the first column. I'll find you" said Wat softly.

Tine nodded, feeling a slight pinch in his chest as he saw Wat walking away.

He fell into a trot beside the King.

"It's been an eventful first day as husbands for you both. But the strongest bonds are forged in the furnace of adversity" said the King wisely.

"I spoke to the Beast just before he died, Uncle Dim. You knew about the Winter Fever. Why the treaty then? With less than a quarter of their army fit to fight, we were evenly matched in battle, were we not?" asked Tine, without beating about the bush.

King Dimitris looked at Tine in surprise. "He told you? What else did he say?"

Tine recounted his conversation with Badulf.

"I don't understand what you want from me and why you wanted me to marry General Zohrawat. The treaty seems unnecessary and pointless" said Tine, trying his best not to sound churlish.

King Dimitris paused to collect his thoughts before he spoke.

"It's because I believe that the Faateha'a mission of One Nation is the only way to bring lasting peace and prosperity to all of Kindraire.

I'm tired of the petty squabbling in the region, the needless wars between neighbours, the disparity between different kingdoms that powers the endless cycle of covet, conquer, consume, covet.

I'm looking at Phaedra's future, and our light will fade. Our strength will wane and we will perish in the next few generations if we are not part of something larger, more significant than just ourselves.

This siege taught me that we are without friends or allies who would rise to our defence.

We are envied and repeatedly attacked by our own neighbours. The kingdoms we trade with are invested in our resources, not our survival.

I believe that the Young Wolf can unite all the kingdoms of Kindraire under one banner. Not just as a warrior, but as the Premier eventually.

But he can't do it alone. He needs an equal partner to walk this journey with.

Someone who knows the history, geopolitics and cultures of the different kingdoms.

Someone who can bring them all together not just with military might but with an alignment of purpose.