04. First Impressions

Vincentine quietly but keenly observed Zohrawat. His pulse quickened as he felt the waves of sheer masculine power emanating from the black-clad warrior.

Zohrawat was incredibly handsome, with small cuts and scars on his face that only served to accentuate his rugged good looks.

His expression was severe, and he seemed to wear a perpetual frown. His voice was husky and rough. He was dark, dangerous and altogether sexy.

Vincentine found himself blushing for no reason at all. He quickly averted his face.

"Thank you for accepting my invitation" he said pleasantly. He felt stupid as soon as he spoke. Really, Tine?

"Why are we here?" replied Zohrawat gruffly.

Vincentine took a deep breath and paused. He had prepared a short speech, but couldn't remember a single word of it at the moment.

He decided to be honest with the man he was to wed the following day. Feeling extremely shy and nervous, he stumbled over his words.

"King Dimitris told me that your army will be breaking camp the very next morning after the... after our... after tomorrow.

I wanted to show you my home before you - we - leave. So you would understand why Phaedra deserves to be preserved just the way it is."

Zohrawat's eyes hardened. "If you think you're the only one making a sacrifice here, you'd be mistaken, Prince."

Vincentine was startled. "That's not what I meant, Lord Zohrawat."

"I'm not a lord. I'm a soldier."

Vincentine bit his lip. "Pardon my manners. I realize that I haven't made proper introductions. I'm Tine."

Zohrawat was surprised the prince had dispensed with titles and honours.

Contrary to how it was intended, the fact that Tine didn't feel the need to mention his royal status made Zohrawat feel thoroughly plebian.

He cleared his throat. "I'm General Zohrawat of the Federation Army of the Faateh, son of Field Marshal Badulf, Chief of the Ira Tribe and late Commander Mahira, leader of the Cien Unit."

He cringed inside. Way to overcompensate. You sound like a pompous asshole, Wat.

"That's an impressive lineage. I'm sorry about your mother" said Tine softly.

"She died giving birth to me, so I have never known her" Zohrawat found himself saying unexpectedly.

"I don't remember my mother either. She died when I was just a year old. But my brother says I have her eyes" said Tine.

Zohrawat had not expected to find similarities with Tine. It made him feel strangely exposed.

"I trust you don't mind all this secrecy. I wanted to introduce myself in person and hoped to speak candidly before we... before tomorrow... and if I had asked Uncle Dim for permission, this would have been a lot more formal" said Tine pleasantly.

His easy grace intimidated Zohrawat, who was used to being feared. He glowered silently, a dark scowl on his face as he felt unsettled by Tine's frank innocence.

They stood side by side in silence for some time. Tine comfortably, Zohrawat not so much.

"If that was all, can we go back now? I treasure my sleep as and when I can get some, and the hour is late" said Zohrawat, like a petulant child.

For no reason at all, Zohrawat felt like he was losing in a fight that Tine didn't even know he was in.

"Oh... Of course" said Tine, sounding a tad disappointed. He had hoped to talk for a bit longer.