chapter fourty six

we had another screening to go to, we all got dressed up again and went to the place. we had our photos taken before entering the building. we all sit down, Madelyn and Chase beside each other, Rudy and i beside each other, Jonathan and Carlacia beside each other, everyone else was scattered around.

after getting seated we all watch the episode being played, it was season two episode 8 aka 'the cross' for those wondering.

there was about 25 minutes left to the episode when a scene of Rudy and i comes on. everyone looks at us with a smile before turning their heads back to the screen.

-in the scene-
JJ and i were sneaking into my dad's house, he was back in town from California and i knew he had a car because he was dirty rich.
"you sure you wanna do this? a little dad theft auto?" JJ asks me.
"no" i tell him before sneaking in the gate and quietly entering my fathers home.
when i walk in i hear him and my step mother talking about the food they were consuming. i peek around the corner watching them as they laughed and seemed super peaceful, it kind of hurt watching them knowing they could care less about me but i shrugged it off before grabbing his car keys quietly and head out again.
i throw JJ the keys before running towards the car, he gets in the drivers seat and i get into the passenger seat before he drives off.
"this'll only take a sec, i think it's in the surf shack, i'll be right back got it?" he tells me parking the vehicle. he gets out quickly and runs towards the shack but falls in the process. "i'm okay!" he says running.

as he's grabbing the stuff his father grabs him from behind covering his mouth telling him to not say anything, Luke didn't want anyone to know where he was but JJ pushes him off.
"how'd you get out?" JJ asks.
"work release, good behavior. can you believe that?" Luke says with a chuckle meanwhile JJ has no emotion on his face noticing his dads bloody knuckles.
"yeah- busted a window in a pharmacy. busted the pharmacist too" Luke laughs sucking on his knuckle. "look i gotta get out of here, that pharmacist, he can ID me." Luke starts to say.
i honk the horn wondering why he's taking so long "JJ!" i yell before getting out and going to the drivers seat.
"i gotta get off this island, so you gotta help me. and i'm done with Kildare, i'm taking Malcom's boat. and i need to get to the other side of the island." Luke finishes before JJ grabs something making his father grab him.
"get off of me" JJ tells him moving around to get out of his grip.
i was still honking the horn.
"listen to me. i should've had the Phantom but i don't because of you. i got your restitution hanging over me. this is your fault. look at me" Luke angrily says gripping onto JJ's shoulders as he looks at him.
"you telling me you're not gonna help your own blood?" Luke says before JJ pushes him towards the car and they walk.
i see them both, "what the frick- no. immediately no." i say getting out. "what is this?" i add looking at him.
"just get in the truck" JJ tells me as his father gets in the back.
"i'm sorry. the Twinkie's drowning right now, JJ. what is the plan? what is this?" i ask confused asf.
he turns and looks at me before grabbing ahold of my jacket and holding me still, "listen to me, okay? i need to into the Marina at the Island Club. theres a boat there he can take, you got the sticker on the truck. twenty minutes, that's all i need." he tells me letting go off me before heading to the passenger side.
"the Twinkie's gonna be a submarine in 20 minutes!" i state.
"i know, Sammy." he responds.
"just leave him, and we can come back!" i say.
"the cops are after him! if i do this now, maybe i'll never have to do it again." JJ states getting into the truck.
i sigh, "don't look at me" i tell Luke as i get into the drivers seat.

i pull up to the gas station and park as JJ gets out.
"crackers and baked beans and tuna, all right? and some salt and pepper" Luke tells JJ which he agrees.
"five days worth, i know" JJ says before walking away.

Luke starts drumming on the seats as i look off into the distance.
"you're a terrible father, you know that?" i state.
"yeah, preach it to me. set me straight." Luke says.
i shake my head, "do you have any idea how special your son is? like even a clue?" i ask.
"he's a thief is what he is" Luke tells me.
"what are you? you're just a wasted local salt who never did shit but get messed up and hustle people. not exactly impressive." i respond causing him to laugh.
"you know, you sound just like your mama. she was just like that in high school. always thought she was better than everybody else. a little princess." Luke starts making my face go numb at the thought of my mother. "you know, i bet you're a lot like your mama. slumming with the bad boys, are you an ungrateful shit like she was? i bet you are" he adds with a laugh as i glare at him through the rearview mirror. "hopping up on your high horse riding around in daddy's car-" he says before i elbow him causing him to groan in pain.
"don't talk about my family." i tell him before looking back into the distance.
Luke glances at me then the knife in his lap, JJ whistles at him to hand him the stuff before getting in.
"lets get this over with, yeah?" i ask him starting the engine.
"yeah" JJ responds closing the door.

i drive to the spot and park. JJ gets out gathering the stuff while Luke leans over to me.
"hey, why don't you tell your mom hi-" Luke starts to say before getting cut off by JJ who told him to shut up.
JJ knew my mother was a sensitive topic for me i was grateful he stopped him from continuing.
Luke and JJ start to walk off before i call his name.
"hey, Luke?" i say causing them both to look at me, i flip him off with a smile. he gets mad and tries to walk to me before JJ stops him again.
"go! go!" JJ tells him as they walk off.

"did you have to do that? did you have to go after her like that?" JJ asks as his father gets onto the boat.
"i told her the truth. she didn't like it." Luke responds.
"everything hm" JJ starts, "everything i have, you fricking ruin." he finishes.
"i don't try to, just happens naturally." Luke says making JJ clench his jaw.
JJ starts the engine of the boat and they get Luke situated before having a heart wrenched goodbye filled with tears.

i walk down the dock towards where JJ was to check on him. he wraps his arm around me and we walk back to the truck in a comfortable silence.
-end of scene-

my eyes were FILLED with tears at the flashbacks of 'JJ and his dads' scenes. i know that shit wasn't real but it broke my heart every time.
i feel a set of eyes on me as tear runs down my cheek, i look over and see Rudy looking at me, he gently wipes the tear trying not to mess up my makeup before grabbing ahold of my hand and holding it. i lay my head on his shoulder as our hands rest on his lap.
"you did so well in that scene" he whispers in my ear making me smile.
"likewise" i whisper back keeping my head on his shoulder.

we continue to watch the rest of the episode.