Chapter 19

Anna finds Steve outside the door leading to the party, presumably waiting for her. He looked so good with a blue button-down that matched his eyes tucked into his dark wash jeans. She bites her lip as she approaches him as he speaks first.

"Anna, you look... amazing."

She brings her hand to the crook of his neck and kisses him, her tongue twirling around his and he reaches one hand on the small of her back and presses his body to hers. Finally, she tears herself away, slightly out of breath. "You look good too, Steve." She laughs as he tries to recompose himself as she enters the party with him following close behind.

Anna avoids all alcohol all night, hoping nobody notices, but she isn't so sure. When it was time for presents, Steve hands her a box. "I wanted to give this to you earlier, but I forgot."

He starts to blush, and she smirks at his embarrassment. She opens the box to find Bucky's military tags and his small black notebook that had originally been Steve's. She leans over and kisses him on the cheek. "Thank you, Steve."

Tony clears his throat, claiming everyone's attention. "So, Bucky gave this to me to hold onto for safekeeping. He told me if anything ever happened to him, I should give it to you when the time was right. In all honesty, I don't think the time will ever be right, but I know he would want you to have it."

He sets a small ring box in front of her, and she feels her heart start to beat fast. She picks it up and opens it slowly. Inside she finds a beautiful engagement ring with an aquamarine gemstone, Bucky's birthstone, and tiny diamonds on either side. She holds her hand up to her face. She doesn't know what to say or think. She slams the box shut and slams it on the table and runs to the roof.

Steve sees Anna run from the room, he leans over and picks up the box, and sees the engagement ring inside. His heart falls to his stomach as he looked up at Stark asking for an explanation. "He came to me before the last mission. He wanted my permission. He told me to hold onto it until he was ready for it. And that if something happened to him that I should give it to her. I'm sorry, Cap." Steve grabs the ring box and goes after Anna, already knowing where she was.

***

Anna makes it to the roof before completely breaking down. Everything over the last few months, Bucky, the babies, Steve. Steve... every time they seem to make a step forward something happens that pulls her back to Bucky. Bucky... a ghost that still haunted her. When will she be able to let him go? She hears Steve walk up slowly behind her. She turns to face him, tears streaming down her face. He doesn't say anything as he grabs her, holding her while she cried. When she finally calms down and pulls away, Steve removes the box from his pocket and hands it to her. "Do with it what you want, but he wanted you to have it. And it doesn't change anything here." He kisses her on the forehead, turning away to leave as she opened the box to look at it again.

She looked up at Steve's back as he approached the door. "Steve?" He turns back to her as she rushed to catch up to him, grabbing his hand. "Take me to bed?" He just interlocks his fingers with hers as he nods and leads her to his room.

***

Anna wakes up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep as her mind is flooded with thoughts of the ring and Bucky and the babies. She turned over to look at Steve who was still fast asleep. She was grateful she had him. She knew that Bucky would have wanted her to be with him. Bucky knew that Steve would always take care of her if she let him. She knew it was time to stop living in the past, that she would have to move on eventually, especially if she was to keep the babies. She nudges the sleeping super soldier next to her. "Steve?"

Steve wakes with a startle, turning to her. "Anna? Is everything ok?"

She brings her hand up to his cheek with a small smile. "I'm fine, Steve. Remember when I said I want to continue our um... conversation, from earlier?"

He sleepily grins and nods as he leans over, half on top of her and he softly caresses her face. "Now? Are you sure?"

She pulls his face to hers and invades his mouth with her tongue as she hears him moan. "Yes, Steve." He wastes no time as he moves his body between her legs, placing a hand on her waist. She wraps her arms around his neck as he starts kissing her neck and moans softly in his ear, "I want you, Steve."

He pulls away and takes off his shirt with one hand before helping Anna remove her own and her bra. He kisses her neck trailing kisses down between her breasts. He runs his tongue slowly around the nipple of her right breast while rubbing her left nipple between his fingers and her back arches to his touch. He makes sure to take extra care, savoring all of her body that he had been craving. He leans back on his knees and locks eyes with her as he slowly removes her bottoms, leaving her completely bare before him. She sees his eyes roaming her entire body, taking it all in, and she starts to feel a little self-conscious. He seems to feel her discomfort, "You're so beautiful, Anna." He removes his own pants and hovers over her body for a moment.

He seems to hesitate, but Anna pulls him to her, closing the distance between their bodies. "I want to feel you, Steve." He enters her slowly, letting her body fully acclimate to his. She moans and kisses him as he feels her hunger for him and he reciprocates with his movements. He feels her body reacting to his, her hips meeting his. He moans as she wraps her legs tight around him. He presses his lips to hers as he feels her body shaking in climax under him. He moans as his body reacts to hers, her orgasm activating his.