Chapter 15

Anna wakes up in the middle of the night wrapped in Bucky's arms, not even remembering him coming to bed. She starts to run her hand all over his chest and neck and face. It has been so long since she was able to touch him, feel him. She feels his breathing change as he wakes up.

"Anna?" He turns to face her and places his metal hand gently on her cheek. "Anna, I'm—"

She doesn't let him finish before her lips are on his and he gently rolls her onto her back. She missed his smell, the feel of his body on hers. He moves his hand down, never breaking his lips from hers. He removes her pants, and she helps to jimmy out of them. He pulls down his own and enters her in one swift movement, making her back arch as she throws her head back. "Oh, Buck."

He trails kisses to her neck and shoulder, back up to her mouth. He longed for her for too long. Even as the Winter Soldier, he always maintained his own memories, just couldn't control his actions.

Their movements are quick and full of hunger and urgency, hands and mouths everywhere and it isn't long before they are both out of breath and collapsing in sweat and love.

Bucky turns to Anna and puts his hand on her cheek. "Anna, I'm sorry. I failed you."

Anna sits up and looks at him, confused and hurt. "Bucky you never failed me. Not once. It wasn't your fault; you shouldn't have been let to go alone."

Bucky doesn't agree, but he doesn't want to fight as he sighs, grabbing her hand. "Please, Anna, just lay down. Let's go back to sleep." Anna lays back down, her head on his chest.

***

Bucky wakes up before Anna in the morning as he gently leaves her in the bed and grabs something from his drawer. He gets dressed and sneaks out of the room without waking her up. He finds Stark in his office, knowing that he was never really one for sleeping. He knocks on the open door and enters without waiting for a response. "Mr. Stark, can we talk?"

Tony looks up from his desk, looking stressed and tired. "Of course, Sergeant Barnes, sit down." He motions to the chair in front of him. Bucky closes the door behind him, taking a seat across from Tony as he set a small box on the desk. Tony opens it with a small chuckle, setting it back on the desk, and sliding it back to Bucky. "It's really beautiful Barnes, but I'm afraid I'm already married."

"No, no." Bucky sighs, standing up as he begins to pace nervously. "I grew up in a different time, and I realize things are different now. But with everything that has happened, or will happen, I need to do things the right way. I need you to know my intentions of asking Anna to marry me. Not now, after this is all over. After we find Red Skull."

Tony stands up and approaches Bucky and places his hands on his shoulders as he feels him relax. "Ok, ok. You know you ramble? You have my permission, Barnes. If that is indeed what you are seeking."

Bucky just nods with a small smile. "Yes, Mr. Stark, I was seeking your permission. And can you do me a favor?"

"You mean besides my daughter's hand in marriage?" Tony teases as Bucky grabs the box off the desk to hand to him.

"Can you hold onto the ring? Just in case, in case something happens to me. You'll know the right moment to give it to her. Please?"

Tony doesn't say anything as he accepts the ring, staring down at it as Bucky leaves the office. He sighs, turning back to sit at his desk as he stares at the ring once more before placing it in his top drawer.

Bucky climbs the stairs to the bedroom, knocking on Steve's door next. "It's me, can I come in?"

He hears a confirmation as he opens the door to find Steve sitting on his bed reading. Steve smiles, setting the book on his nightstand as he stands up. "What's up, Buck?"

"I need to talk to you about Anna. And please, don't say anything until I am done." He holds his hands up as Steve just nods in agreement and he takes a deep breath. "I know we are going to be going after Red Skull soon, I just need to make preparations before we do. I need to know that if something happens to me, I need to know that you will take care of her. I know you have feelings for her or maybe even more than that." He holds his hand up once more as Steve opens his mouth to protest, but Bucky just shakes his head. "It's fine. No use denying it. It never bothered me because I trust both of you. And if anything happened while I was gone, I don't want to know about it. But if something happens to me, she'll need you. Promise me, Steve. Marry her, stay friends, I don't care, just make sure she is cared for."

Steve approaches a distraught Bucky, resting his hands on his shoulders. "Of course, I will Buck. I will always take care of her. But you shouldn't worry. It will be fine." He pulls his oldest friend into a tight hug for a few silent moments before Bucky pulls away from him.

"Just make sure you make her eat this time."

Steve chuckles, shaking his head. "Yeah. I'm sorry about that. Loki was the one finally able to get through to her. Who would have thought she would need a bit of tough love."

"I did," Bucky states confidently, smiling for the first time. "Thanks, Steve."

Anna wakes up in bed all alone as she sighs, getting up to take a shower. When she leaves her room, she finds Bucky in the hallway, leaving Steve's room. "Bucky, there you are. I woke up alone."

He wraps his arms around her, pulling her to his chest. "Sorry doll. Had some stuff to do. Don't worry, I'm right here." She leans up on her toes to press her mouth to his as she feels his tongue sweep against her lips. She moans against his mouth, granting him access as he pulls her tighter against him.

"Right in the open? Really?" Natasha seemed more amused than irritated as she passed them in the hallway.

They pull away from each other with a chuckle and Bucky grabs Anna's hand. "Come on doll, I'm going to feed you. It doesn't look like you've eaten the entire time I've been gone, you're far too skinny." Anna laughs and follows him to the kitchen.

***

As Anna finishes her food, Loki joins them in the kitchen. "Loki," Bucky approaches him with a smile, "I just wanted to say thank you for what you've done to help Anna while I've been away. Steve said you were the only one able to get her to eat anything. So, thank you."

Loki tries to just brush it off, not one for emotional bonding. "Of course, none of us would let anything happen to her. Everyone else just coddled her. I didn't, and you wouldn't either. I just tried to do what you would do."

Anna looked up at Loki and finds him searching her eyes. He hesitates a moment before leaving them once more alone in the kitchen as Bucky grabs the plates and starts doing dishes, feeling Anna's eyes on him the whole time. "Might be easier for you to take a picture, doll."

He turns around and smirks at her as she blushes slightly. "I know, I just missed you."

His face gets serious as he sits back down on the stool next to her. "Look at me." He grabs her chin as he rests his forehead on hers. "I need to know that this won't happen again. I need to know that if something ever really does happen to me that you won't sink back into a dark place. That you'll take care of yourself." Anna scoffs and tries to get up, but Bucky holds her firmly on the stool. "Tatianna Stark, look at me. Look at me and promise me."

Anna feels the tears welling in her eyes and she looks into his. "Okay! I promise!"

Natasha enters the kitchen, making them pull away from each other as Anna wipes the tears on her hands. "Conference room. Now."