Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

"That's why you need to give me the key," Morgan implored, lowering herself to Declan's level. Desperation and concern played across her ethereal features, and it was almost enough to convince Lux she truly cared. "My sisters have power over life. They will restore the balance to this world, but they cannot travel here unless the gateways are opened."

"Liar," the black-haired woman shouted from the cage. She curled her fingers around the bars and shook until it groaned. The sleeves of her tunic slid down and revealed cuffs around her slim wrists, and Lux knew at once they bound her powers somehow.

"Hush child. You will serve your purpose soon enough," Morgan said, rising to her feet.

"I'm not an idiot," Declan said. "You do not need to silence anyone. I know your dirty secrets. Your plots and plans. You want to storm into Avalon to take revenge, and our home was collateral."

Morgan shrugged. "Blame the Avalon queens for hiding the men my sister and I need to punish."

Morgause wiggled her fingers, and white flames danced atop their tips. "If Merlin was not such a coward, I would have dealt with him here and been glad of it."

"Lux, please. I know you're in there," Declan begged, lunging toward Morgause's feet and receiving a booted to the face for his efforts. Blood sprayed across the dead grass, and he dropped to his side, rolling to his back with a deep groan.

"You," Morgan screamed, the last of her composed facade slipping as she bent forward and grabbed Declan by his hair. "I have slain the werewolf king and toppled the Guardians in their home in Camelot. What chance does one pitiful sorcerer stand against the Fae Queen? You don't even have the power of a witch anymore without your precious lover."

"Then kill me," he spat. "Add me to the dead, and you can find the damn key yourself."

She released him so hard his head bounced against the ground. Rising, she brushed invisible dirt from her silvery skirts, and gestured at Morgause. "Do it."

"With pleasure," Morgause said, and those dancing white flames engulfed Declan.

"No!" Lux screamed, coming back to the present with a jolt.

"Shit," Declan cursed, banging a fist on the back of the driver's seat. "Never do that again, Lux."

Her head was in his lap, and he helped her sit up slowly. The car Percy and Calum drove was parked behind them, and the Guardians stood on either side of an anxious Kitty. She twisted and caught his mouth in a kiss, grabbing one side of his face, relishing in the smooth, unblemished perfection of his skin. No wounds or scars or dirt caked his beautiful face. She lowered her other hand to his chest and sought his beating heart.

"You Saw it," Kitty said.

Declan and Lux clung to one another a second longer before breaking apart. With a trembling inhale, Lux stood and nodded, putting out a hand to stop Declan from drawing her back into the car.

"I did. It was terrible." Her voice broke. "Your descriptions did it no justice."

The men exchanged looks, and Declan spoke up. "But it's all lies Daphne created to get Kitty on her side."

"No. It's true."

Everyone gaped at Lux, but she knew it was true. Knew it the way she knew the phone was about to ring or someone would get a flat tire. She knew it the way she knew Corinne Bailey was dead years ago. Everything Kitty had been Seeing was true, but it didn't mean she was right.

"We have to get to Elaine and find out everything we can about Morgause," Lux said, getting back into the car and buckling her seat belt. No one moved, so she shouted, "Now."

At once, they all scrambled back to their places, engines roaring to life and gravel spinning into the brush as they pulled back onto the highway. Kitty sobbed in her seat. Her face hidden behind her hands as her shoulders shook.

"It's not me," Lux told her. "Not really."

"I know that now," Kitty heaved, "But it's still the future. She's in your body, and she has your powers. It's almost worse than I imagined."

"Is it?"

The girl nodded. "Yes, because a part of me always struggled with believing you could truly do anything so terrible. Your heart is too pure, Lux, and I guess as long as I held onto that, a small part of me held onto hope. A very, very small part."

"And now?" Lux sat on her hands to stop herself from pulling her friend into her arms. Kitty had done so many awful things. Likely even murdered others. Even if it was to stop the destruction she saw in the Visions, Lux didn't believe two wrongs made a right.

"And now... Now I'm fucking terrified because that woman has all your powers and none of your morals. If she takes over your, we're finished." She licked her lips and closed her eyes. "The world as we know it is over.