Chapter 5

***

“What was that about?” Jisoo was asking the same question a few feet behind the flight attendants.

“I don't know what you mean?”

“Ah come on Lis.”

“She just asked me if I wanted to have a look around…” She paused, rolling her eyes at her friend’s expression. “Don't look at me like that. I know I screwed up, but what if she asks me things? I mean, what am I going to say, if she for example wanted to know, where I come from?”

“For fucks sake, LA is a fucking big city.” Jisoo hissed through her clenched jaw. “Stop being so super cautious. If she wants to get to know you, tell her what there is to know. She won't want to hear all about your dramatic childhood experiences on an evening out, god!” Jisoo exhaled loudly and slapped Lisa hard on her back. “Remember, living means daring.”

“Not sure I'm ready to gamble.”

“Well, like it or not, but I challenge you to talk to her. Spend some time with her. Just be yourself.”

“Why is this so important to you?” Lisa finally asked the question, which had been on her mind all afternoon.

“I love you, and want you happy. You deserve to be happy. Happiness comes in all forms and shapes. It’s that simple, really.” Jisoo said and shrugged her shoulders. They had reached the entrance of the Nightclub and queued in the rather short line.

“Ok. What makes you think, talking to her will make me happy though?”

“I’ve seen the way you look at her.” Jisoo had stepped closer to her friend. “Again, no one is talking about bedding her. Just relax.” She gave one more pointed look and stepped up to her girlfriend, circling her arm around Jennie’s waist and pulling her in for a quick kiss.

‘If Jisoo is so excited and positive about something, maybe I should give it a try?’ Lisa squared her shoulders and walked up to Roseanne, who had been looking at her phone, ignoring Irene asking the bouncer if a specific barkeeper worked this nightshift.

“Hi.”

Roseanne looked up and into the green expanse focused at her. “Hi yourself.” She smiled amusedly.

“I’d ask if you came here often, but I think it’s a given.” Lisa said and laughed with Roseanne. “About earlier.” She started after a moment. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel awkward.”

“Lisa, it’s ok. You didn’t. Offer stands though. If you want to see a little of Honolulu, I’m happy to show you around.”

They were finally able to enter the building and Irene made a beeline for the main bar, hollering over her shoulder she’d bring the first round of drinks.

They walked into the spacious club and looked around. It was still early enough for some tables, located at the walls to the left and right to be empty, so they quickly settled down and inspected the premises. There were a couple of bars, one in each corner it seemed and people danced on every available spot. In the far back was a DJ booth, which was currently occupied by a young woman plunging the club into an ‘out of space’ experience with her music accompanied by very fitting lighting. Lisa felt at ease although it was loud. She hadn’t realised how much she had missed going out and enjoying herself. A small smile played at the corner of her mouth as she let her gaze wander back to the group of people she had come with.

Jennie and Jisoo were in a deep conversation with Roseanne and Bobby, whilst Irene had returned
and was distributing a variety of cocktails with the help of Ashley. Lisa found herself sipping an interesting concoction of strawberry flavoured juice combined with water melon cordial and lime syrup. Not her first choice, but it worked well for a mocktail.