Chapter 3

***

“On a more serious note, oxygen and the air pressure are always being monitored. In the unlikely event of decompression, an oxygen mask will automatically fall out of the ceiling above you. To start the flow of oxygen, pull the mask towards you. Place it firmly over your nose and mouth, secure the elastic band behind your head, and breathe normally. If you’re not flying alone, this is the moment to think about how much your companion means to you. If you are travelling with more than one child, decide which one has more potential and will support your extravagant lifestyle once you’re old and wrinkly, as you are asked to secure your mask on first, and then assist other’s including your kids.”

Roseanne waited again for a little more silence before she proceeded. “Keep your mask on until a uniformed crew member advises you to remove it.” She explained and quickly proceeded. “Furthermore, in the event of an emergency, please assume the brace position as shown so elegantly by my lovely colleagues. You may find that position useful whenever stopped by the police for speeding. It’ll highlight your innocence.” Roseanne winked.

“Next point in our safety demonstration, fashion tips. Life vests are located under your seat. When instructed to do so, open the plastic pouch and remove the vest. Don’t worry; we can assure you that the colour will most likely not fit any of your clothes. Slip it over your head anyway. Pass the straps around your waist like a good old fanny pack and adjust at the front. Do not tighten too much. Even in the case of an emergency, no one wants to see lots of Michelin Men.”

The airplane had been pushed back and was currently moving at a slow pace towards the runway.

“To inflate the vest, pull firmly on the red cord, only when leaving the aircraft. Do not inflate inside the aircraft. Besides being dangerous, it makes you look stupid and who wants that?” Jennie and Irene shook their heads to emphasize Roseanne’s words as if they had been trained to respond accordingly.

“Indeed. No one. So, if you need to further inflate the vest, blow into the mouthpiece. Use the whistle and light to attract attention as long as you can, until you’re rescued or the sharks get to you.” Roseanne had lowered her voice significantly for dramatic effect and continued with a happier voice. “Whichever happens first, right?”

“Last but not least, you will find everything I’ve just explained and all the other safety information in the card located in the seat pocket in front of you.” Jennie and Irene pointed to cards. “We strongly suggest you read it before take-off. So hurry up and read it now as we’re mere minutes away from it. Thank you for your attention and we wish you all an enjoyable flight.” Roseanne smiled, hung up and helped Jennie clear away the utensils, while the cabin erupted in applause, just before the intercom crackled alive and Lisa’s soft voice filled the plane once more.

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. Welcome on board LM Airlines Flight 307. My name is Lisa Bruschweiler and together with my colleague Jisoo Kim and the cabin crew, we are looking forward to fly you safely and soundly from Los Angeles to Honolulu. We are currently third in line for take-off and are expected to be in the air in approximately seven minutes time. We too hope you enjoy your flight.”

A few minutes passed while Roseanne and the rest secured last items and made their way over to their seats, when Jisoo spoke up. “Cabin crew, take-off in 2 minutes.”

Jennie and Irene were sat on one side and Roseanne facing them with her back to the cockpit.

“So? What’s going on with you and the ‘hot pilot’?” Jennie asked letting her eyebrows suggestively dance up and down her forehead.