-30- Plagg, Claws In

Start from the beginning

"Adrien—"

"Let's just go home, Plagg."

***

Marinette finishes packing and sets the suitcase by the trap door. She just got back from the park where she said goodbye to all her friends. Well, Adrien wasn't there, but she wrote it off to his father being controlling again. Her bus to the airport leaves in an hour.

"I'm going to miss you so much," Alya tells her best friend as she hugs her. "So, so much."

"I won't be in New York forever," Marinette reminds her. "It's just three months."

"What if you win that contest?"

She shrugs. "Even if I win, it doesn't mean I'll never come back to Paris. I love Paris! I'd want my fashion brand to be based here." But I'd like to be known all around the world. "Besides, I'll still come back and visit all the time."

"You better, girl. You hear me?" Alya asks.

Marinette nods. "Yes. I do."

They hug one more time before Alya leaves.

Sabine hugs her daughter tight. "Oh, I'm so proud of you honey. Your dreams are finally coming true." She wipes a tear away. "Are you sure you don't want your father or I coming with you?"

"I'm almost an adult, Mom," Marinette reassures her. "I can handle myself. I promise I'll make new friends and that I won't isolate myself and stay inside all day and eat too much food until I explode. I'll live my life." A frown falls on her face. "I'd like to be alone right now before we leave, if that's okay."

Tom kisses his daughter's forehead. "Of course it is, sweetie. Just come down when you're ready." Her parents go downstairs.

Marinette stares at the trap door. "Everyone's so emotional, Tikki," She whispers to an empty room, confused by the silence that follows. She glances at her purse and realizes it's still empty. Right... I forgot. She takes off her purse and throws it at the wall, screaming. She climbs up to her balcony, sobbing, and cries up to the sky.

Why did everything have to be so complicated? Did she make the right choice? Should she have given up her miraculous? She looks down at her hand and sees the lucky charm bracelet Adrien gave her for her birthday around her wrist.  She touches it with a smile and grabs her phone. She didn't want to leave without saying goodbye to Adrien. It goes to voicemail.

"Hey, Adrien," She starts, forcing back tears as she clears her throat. "I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to see each other today. I'm about to leave for New York. The bus for the airport leaves in less than an hour. My parents are driving me to the bus station. If you wanted to come and say goodbye, I'd like that." If you wanted to ask me to stay, I'd like that, too. She would never say it out loud, though. "If you don't come, that's okay. We'll see each other again someday. Goodbye for now. I love you. I don't ever want to stop being friends, Adrien." She hangs up and climbs back to her room.

She grabs her suitcase and looks around her room one last time before turning off the light.

***

Adrien slouches at his desk, frowning at a picture of Marinette on his desktop. "I ruined everything, Plagg."

"It wasn't you. It was Lila and your stupid cousin, Felix," The kwami reminds him.

"Ugh. I can't help but get angry at the sound of their names."

His phone buzzes on the desk.

"You have one new message," Plagg mocks before eating a bite of cheese.

"I didn't even hear my phone ring," Adrien wonders as he grabs it. "It's a new voicemail from Marinette!" He immediately plays it.

"Hey, Adrien. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to see each other today. I'm about to leave for New York. The bus for the airport leaves in less than an hour. My parents are driving me to the bus station. If you wanted to come and say goodbye, I'd like that." There's a long pause. "If you don't come, that's okay. We'll see each other again someday. Goodbye for now. I love you. I don't ever want to stop being friends, Adrien."

It ends.

"Marinette still loves me..." Adrien whispers to himself with a smile.

"Is that all you got from that?" Plagg asks, flying over to slap his holder in the face. "Kid, she's leaving! She wanted you to say goodbye!"

His eyes widen. "No! I have to stop her from leaving!"

"That is the complete opposite of what I said!"

"No, I don't care if Marinette wants to go to New York. I have to tell her the truth: that I want her to stay! Plagg, claws out!"

***

Marinette stands outside the bus station, looking left and right. She left Adrien a voicemail. She let him know she's leaving. Where was he? Didn't he want to say goodbye? If only Adrien had begged me to stay. Sighing, Marinette lifts her suitcase, stepping towards the bus. Cat Noir drops down in front of her. Not the person she wanted to see right now. "Cat Noir? What are you doing here?"

"Mari, please don't go." Cat Noir grabs her empty hand. "Paris needs you. I need you!"

"Cat..." Marinette thinks back to her last battle, to Ladybug's mistake, and shakes her head. "I'm sorry, Cat Noir. I can't. Trust me, everything will be better after I'm gone."

Marinette tries to leave, but Cat Noir steps in front of her. "That's a lie. Don't say that. What would Cat Noir be without his Milady?"

Her eyes widen. "Milady? You know I'm-"

"Ladybug? Yes. I've known for a while." Cat Noir admits and scratches the back of his neck. "Do you remember after we defeated Bookworm, and I asked to you meet me at the Eiffel Tower?" Marinette nods. "I was so mad after you wouldn't tell me your identity that I followed you. I saw you transform back on your balcony."

"What? That was over six months ago, Cat!" Marinette screams, tearing up. "Why didn't you ever say anything?"

"I don't know!" Cat Noir takes in a deep breath. "Because of stupid reasons, I guess. I wanted to see if you could fall in love with me. With Cat Noir, the person I get to be when I'm saving Paris with my little bug. With the person I get to be when I'm not..." He trails off.

"Cat..."

Cat Noir squeezes her hand. "Please... I need you to stay."

A tear sneaks down Marinette's cheek. "Cat, that's very sweet of you to say, but you're not the one I want begging me to stay."

Pouting, he asks, "You mean Adrien, right?"

"Yes." Marinette nods with tears in her eyes. "And he's not here, so neither am I. I have to go. Goodbye, Cat Noir."

"Plagg, claws in!"