-21- Double Sided Confessions

Marinette and Adrien stare at each other in silence.

Why isn't Adrien freaking out? Marinette eyes Adrien, confused, but doesn't say anything. Didn't he care that she kissed another guy, especially a famous superhero? Another minute passes. "I kissed Cat Noir, Adrien. It was after I left your birthday party. Cat Noir came to visit and we started talking and I just kissed him without thinking. I'm so sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry, Mari. I kissed Ladybug. I caught her outside my window." Adrien laughs, adding, "She came to wish me a happy birthday. And I kissed her. I'm sorry, too."

You didn't actually cheat on me, though. "I didn't expect you to react this way." Marinette crosses her arms. "I thought you'd be angry, disappointed, or even a little jealous. But you seem so calm and released while I'm trying to stop my heart from ripping out of my chest."

Adrien wants to tell her everything. Just give up the truth, but he couldn't stop thinking about what Plagg said. What if Hawk Moth found out their true identities? They'd be putting themselves and their loved ones in danger. The last thing Adrien wanted was to hurt Marinette.

"I'd be a hypocrite if I reacted that way, Mari." He reaches for her hand. "You kissed Cat Noir. I kissed Ladybug. In our defense, we were both in emotional positions and we made a dumb choice."

"You still want to be with me, Adrien?" She asks, confused. "For real?"

Adrien pulls her closer. "Of course. I meant what I said, Mari. You mean everything to me."

Marinette starts crying and hugs Adrien. He wraps his arms around her waist and holds her tight. "I just feel so horrible, Adrien. You don't deserve to be with someone like me."

"Don't say that." Adrien rubs the back of her head. As Marinette continues to sob, a tear of his own sneaks down his cheek. He closes his eyes. Marinette deserved to know everything. It's not fair that Adrien knows her secret identity while she's left in the dark. Adrien opens his eyes, about to tell her everything, and sees Plagg floating in front of him, shaking his head no. He leans back and smiles. "Up for a late night walk?"

Smiling through the tears, Marinette grabs his hand. They walk under the Eiffel Tower and look up, mesmerized by the bright lights. "It's beautiful," She whispers, losing herself in a trance as the lights blur with her tears, "It's like staring into Heaven." She leans her head on Adrien's shoulder, sighing. Everything's going to be okay.

Adrien leans down, kissing her forehead, and smiles to himself.

"How did you even manage to sneak out?" Marinette asks as they continue walking.

"My bodyguard was distracted and Nathalie and my father were in his office." Adrien didn't mention the part about turning into Cat Noir to race to the Eiffel Tower. "Probably another meeting."

"What if your dad finds out?"

"I stuffed my bed with pillows," Adrien says, laughing. "I don't think it's fool proof, but..."

Marinette laughs and shakes her head.

Adrien squeezes her hand tighter as they walk to the park. It's empty. No one's here. Probably because people are home and sleeping instead of walking around Paris at night. He spots the fountain and turns to smirk at Marinette. "There's something I've always wanted to do."

"What, Adrien?"

Adrien jumps on the fountain, holding a hand out for Marinette. She takes it and steps up. "Haven't you always wanted to play in the fountain?"

"What?" She asks with wide eyes. "Won't we get in trouble?"

"There's no one here."

Adrien jumps in, splashing some water on Marinette, She laughs and follows him in. They start chasing each other around the fountain, slapping and kicking water until the other is soaked. Marinette trips on a pipe and tackles Adrien, sending them crashing into the water. Now they're both soaked. Her face burns red as she lays on her boyfriend. Laughing, Adrien pushes wet hair out of Marinette's face, cupping her cheek. He leans in and kisses her. Marinette grabs his face, leaning into the kiss, and screams as cold water runs down her back.