-24- Patrol With a Bug & Cat

"It was bound to happen, Adrien. You two deserve each other. Have a good show. I hope you break your leg." Marinette's voice cuts off as she hangs up.

"Ugh!" Adrien throws his phone at the wall, grabs a pillow, and screams in it. He peeks out at the shattered pieces of his now-destroyed phone on the floor. Sighing, he scoops the mess in his hand and storms downstairs, barging into his father's office without knocking or warning. "Here." He drops the broken phone on the desk. "I need a new phone."

Gabriel eyes the broken pieces and asks, "What happened?"

"You got what you wanted, father," Adrien whispers, crossing his arms. "Marinette broke up with me."

His father forces back a sneaky grin. "If you need to talk about anything—"

"There's nothing to talk about anymore," His son interrupts.

"I'll have a phone ready for you in an hour."

"Great," Adrien mutters, already halfway out the door and slumping back upstairs to his room. He's angry, shocked, and heartbroken. He couldn't believe the lengths Lila would go to hurt Marinette. Why? Because the liar had a crush on him? Because she was jealous of her classmate? What were the girl's intentions?

Adrien didn't care about anything anymore. He didn't care about school, Chinese lessons, fencing, and he certainly didn't care about the play. As of now, he's quitting it, and he'd do everything in his power to protect Marinette from Lila. He's also hurt that Marinette would believe her so easily, despite knowing who the horrible girl truly is. But even he had to admit the picture looked convincing.

Back in his room now, Adrien sits on the couch, trying to concentrate on a movie, but he can't. He can't stop thinking about Marinette. I miss her so much. Lila ruined everything for us.

"Cheese for your thoughts, Adrien?" Plagg offers with concern.

He pushes the harsh-smelling cheese out of his face. "No, thank you."

"I wasn't really offering," The kwami tells him, offended he'd refuse his cheese in the first place. "I was being polite. Sugarcube says I should try to adapt to human culture and humans offer each other food when they're feeling sad."

"Oh," Adrien whispers, then smiles. "That's actually sweet of you. I can see Tikki is helping with your table manners already."

Plagg smiles and takes a bite. "I'd do anything for that kwami. So, what are you sad about, Adrien?"

"I can't stop thinking about Lila."

"Uh, don't you mean Marinette?" The kwami corrects.

"No. Yes! That's not what I meant. I can't stop wondering how Lila did it." Adrien leans back against the couch, thinking. "She kissed someone who looks just like me. You can't exactly hire an actor for that."

Plagg shrugs. "Unless Lila was akumatized again and it was an illusion."

He shakes his head. "I thought about that, too. But I don't think so. Lila already knew how jealous Marinette got from us doing the play together. Something simple as a kiss would set her off. Lila doesn't need to be akumatized to mess with Marinette."

"Then how did Lila kiss someone who looks exactly like you?"

Adrien's eyes widen. "Felix! It must've been Felix!"

"Felix, your stupid cousin?" Plagg asks, almost gagging at the mention of his name. "I still can't forgive him for wasting my cheese!"

He rolls his eyes. "Why would Felix team up with Lila?"