-12- Daddy's Approval

Start from the beginning

Cat Noir does the same thing with Ladybug. Marinette smiles at the thought of Cat Noir. She begins to wonder what he's doing when she remembers she sitting in the backseat of her boyfriend's car and probably shouldn't be thinking about other guys. They soon reach their house and drive through the front gates. Marinette's been here before, but seeing those two big front doors is nerve wracking.

Holding Marinette's hand, Adrien leads her inside. Gabriel stands at the top of the staircase, arms crossed behind his back. "Father, this is Marinette. The girl I'm crazy about." She waves and does a curtsy, suddenly feeling embarrassed and forces herself not to start crying. "She designed this dress." He steps back and nudges her forward. "Isn't it amazing?"

Gabriel stares Marinette down. "Spin. Let me get a full look of the dress." Afraid to say no, she spins slowly, making a face at Adrien when her back is facing his dad. He starts walking down the stairs. "I have to admit, I'm impressed. Your handy-craft is a skill most people desire to have."

Marinette smiles. "Thank you, Mr. Agreste."

Adrien hands his dad her sketchbook and portfolio. "These are her designs, Father."

"Calm down, Adrien." Gabriel raises a hand to keep him from talking. "Why don't we have dinner first before I look over Miss Dupain-Cheng's designs? Nathalie, will you put these in my office?"

"Of course, sir." Nathalie takes Marientte's things and leaves the room.

Marinette's smiles grows as Adrien grabs her hand and leads her to the dinning room. Gabriel sits on the end, with Marinette and Adrien sitting on his left and right. She plays with her hands, nervous, and her eyes widen when Adrien's leg brushes against hers. He's trying to make her comfortable. She leans back, staring in love at her boyfriend.

The Agreste's personal chef walks into the room, placing full plates in front of them. Marinette's never smelt food so delicious before. "For dinner tonight, you will be having chicken confit. A personal favorite of mine."

"That sounds yummy!" Marinette's eyes widen. "I, uh, mean that sounds delicious." She laughs, embarrassed.

Adrien smiles at her.

"So, you're the young girl who's captured my son's heart," Gabriel starts as Marinette and Adrien begin eating. Butterflies start forming in her stomach. "From what I remember, you've always cared deeply about my son."

"Of course. Adrien means everything to me." Marinette looks at him, afraid to make eye contact with his dad.

"Marinette's the best fashion designer in all of Paris, Father," Adrien says, reaching out to grab her hand. "After you, of course." He didn't believe that; he just didn't want to belittle his dad. "She's so amazing. Even our class thinks she is."

Marinette watches Adrien closely as he goes on and on about what an amazing, talented, and awesome fashion designer she is. Not person, fashion designer. She lets go of his hand to scratch the back of her neck and Adrien gives her a sad look. "I just try my best, sir. I work really hard for what I want."

"You and I are one in the same, Miss Dupain-Cheng." Gabriel turns and looks at Marinette. "What good is a design without hard work?"

Marinette nods, smiling. She wants his father to have a real opinion, not a biased one. Adrien tries to get her attention, but she ignores it and keeps eating.

***

After dinner, Marinette and Adrien stand in Gabriel's office as he looks through her designs. "These are truly incredible, Miss Dupain-Cheng." He hands her sketchbook and portfolio back. "You'll make a fine fashion designer."

"Thank you, Mr. Agreste."

"If you ever need a recommendation, don't hesitate to ask."

Marinette's eyes widen. "You'd actually do that for me?!"

Gabriel smiles. "With someone with your talent, how could I not?" She looks over at Adrien and smiles. "It's getting late, Adrien. Go ahead and take Miss Dupain-Cheng home."

"Of course, Father." Adrien walks out with Marinette and stops. "Wait here, please. I need to talk to my father real quick." He turns around and walks back in. "Father?"

"What is it, Adrien?"

Adrien takes in a deep breath. "What do you think of Marinette's designs? She's awesome, right?"

"Her designs are truly unique," His father whispers, turning his back, wanting to end the conversation.

"Is she worthy of your approval now?"

Gabriel nods. "You're right. She's very talented. I've never seen work quite like hers."

"Marinette's designing some outfits for my next fashion show," Adrien says proudly. His girlfriend would soon impress everyone.

Marinette leans against the door, ears perked. She started listening when Adrien first said her name. Her heart falls. Adrien only brought her here to prove something to his father? Was Adrien using her to get new outfits for his fashion show? No, he couldn't be, but Marinette heard everything. Eyes welling up, she heads out, crying as she hides her face in her hands.

Gabriel turns to look at his son. He goes to say something, but changes his mind and stays quiet.

"So, I can keep seeing her?" Adrien asks, hopeful. His father nods. Adrien turns and walks out, expecting Marinette to be waiting, but she's not standing there anymore. He looks around until he spots her outside, about to climb into his car. "Wait!" He runs outside, chasing her down the stairs, and reaches her before she can leave. "Marinette!"

She stops and turns around. "Did your dad even want to meet me, Adrien?"

"What?"

"Your dad doesn't even like me," Marinette whispers, a tear sneaking down her cheek. "I heard you talking to your dad. What were you trying to prove, Adrien? Show your dad that you could date a fashion designer? Maybe get me to design something for you before you drop me like a nobody?"

"No!" Adrien shakes his head fast. "It's not like that at all, Marinette."

"Are you using me?" She questions, hugging her chest. "Is that why you kept complimenting me at dinner? Trying to butter me up to your father or something?"

Adrien steps forward and grabs her hand. "Marinette... my father told me I wasn't allowed to see you anymore. So, I begged him to give you a chance. To meet you and look over your designs so he would change his mind. He said I had to prove you were worth it. I was just showing him how talented and special you are."

"So, what, you needed daddy's approval?"

"I never cared about his approval. I would've kept seeing you even if he didn't let me. Even if he grounded me and took me out of school. I would do everything in my power to see you, Marinette." Adrien sighs. "But I thought if he could see you for who you really are, he would understand why I'm so crazy about you."

Marinette starts crying again and hugs Adrien. "I'm so sorry, Adrien. Ugh! I'm so lame! I can't believe I overreacted like that."

"No, you're not lame." Adrien leans his head into Marinette's neck, closing his eyes with a sigh.

Inside, Gabriel and Nathalie watch Marinette and Adrien.

"You're going to let Adrien keep seeing that girl, sir?" Nathalie asks.

"Yes. For now." Gabriel smirks. "I have something planned in mind and Miss Dupain-Cheng is the final puzzle piece."