-1- Each Other's Company

Six Months Before

Marinette stares in awe at the screensaver on her computer. "Adrien..." She sighs with a smile. Today's the day. She's going to tell Adrien how she feels about him, confess absolutely everything. Alya just about had a heart attack when her best friend called to share the news. "It's time. I'm going to tell him today, Tikki."

"I'm proud of you, Marinette," Her kwami answers with a sneaky grin. "Just remember to use your words this time."

She rolls her eyes. "I've been getting better on the stuttering and stammering, just so you know."

"You stammer more?" The red bug teases.

She hides her bashful face in her hands. "Ugh! What if I mess up? What if as I'm telling Adrien I love him the school catches on fire? O-Or quicksand appears and swallows us whole? Or-"

"Marinette, calm down!" Tikki taps her chin and as her holder looks up, she pats her cheek. "None of those things are going to happen. You're going to walk up to Adrien. You're going to open your mouth and actually speak words. You're going to tell him how you feel and before you know it, you'll be together. Happily ever after. The end."

"I wish it was that easy, Tikki," She mumbles. "How do you know everything will work out? What if Adrien doesn't like me back? What if he only still sees me as a friend? Do you know how embarrassing it'll be if I confess my love to him and he doesn't feel the way way?! I won't be able to show my face in Paris again! I'll have to move! My parents will have to homeschool me and I'll never live my dream of becoming a fashion designer!"

"Marinette, Alya's here!" Sabine shouts from downstairs. Her friend's footsteps echo as she runs upstairs.

She opens her purse. "Hide, Tikki!"

The trap door flies open. "Girl!" Alya cheers, running over to hug her best friend. "I can't believe you're telling Adrien! You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this day."

"Actually..." Marinette fakes a cough as she climbs up to her loft. "I think I'm coming down with something." She dives on the bed and hides under the blanket. "I'm sick. I won't be able to tell Adrien today. Or ever!"

Alya shakes her head. "Girl, no. We have waited too long for this!" She climbs up the ladder and snatches the blanket off. "You're going to march your butt out of this bed and get dressed. Then we're walking to school and you're going to confess to Adrien. If you chicken out now, you'll never do it."

"That sounds absolutely terrifying!" She whines, slumping over to her desk. "How am I supposed to face him without falling over my words?"

"Easy. All you have to say is..." Alya pauses and adds a high pitch to her tone. "'I love you, Adrien!'"

Marinette glares at her. "Two things. One, I don't talk like that. Two, easier said than done."

"Come on. Get dressed." Alya pushes her towards her closet. "We're going to be late for school."

"Can we at least wait until lunch?" Marinette pleads, pouting. "I don't think I can sit through an entire class period after telling Adrien I love him."

She sighs. "Fine. Your choice. We can wait a few more hours." She points a finger at her. "But you will tell him today. No excuses."

Marinette lifts her right hand. "No excuses."

***

Marinette and Alya stand at the front entrance of the school, watching as Adrien climbs out of his car. He and Nino share a handshake. "This would be the perfect time," Alya points out, watching over Marinette's shoulder. "Class doesn't start for ten minutes. Ten minutes to confess your love..."