Chapter One Hundred Four

Start from the beginning

She lays back down, so I open my arms, inviting her to curl up with me. She hesitates and then accepts the invitation. These gestures seem to be getting easier for her.

I ask, "Did you dream last night? I don't remember waking up."

"Not really. I did, but not as bad as they usually are. You were in one of them."

"I was?"

I'm shocked at how easily she admitted that, but I can sense her embarrassment.

"Yeah. You were in my apartment with me."

"A memory?"

"No. We were there after everything had happened. Like Sam was telling me to do."

"How did it turn out in your dream?"

"Not as bad as I thought it would. Eli?"

"Yes baby?"

"I'll do it. I'll go back there, but only if you're with me."

"Of course I will be. I would never make you do that on your own."

She whispers, "Thank you."

I kiss the crown of her head and I'm sure she snuggles closer to me. It makes me wonder if she had other dreams last night, causing this sudden change in her. I know she's been much more comfortable with me and she's been better with my actions of affection, but she hasn't really made any move to instigate it herself. Maybe that's all about to change.

I run my fingers down her arm absentmindedly and ask, "How long until we have to actually get out of bed?"

She glances at my watch before answering, "A half hour."

"Good. I can close my eyes again for a little while. You ok with that?"

"Yep."

I swear Dani holds me a little tighter than usual. Maybe her nightmares were worse than she let on. Maybe she feels like she can express her feelings a bit better. Whatever it is, I'm not going to complain. Instead, I wrap my arm around her even more and squeeze her closer to my side. I hear her take in a sharp breath, but then I hear her whisper, "It's Eli. It's only Eli. He's not going to hurt me..."

I smile as I close my eyes again. I love the fact that she knows I'm not going to hurt her. I love that she trusts me so much. Everything about this morning has been amazing and I'm not sure anything can ruin that now.

When we get into the precinct, we're just at the top of the stairs and my hand is on the door handle. I'm ready to open the door, when Dani says, "Eli?"

I pause and face her, "Yes baby?"

She hesitates and then places her hand on my chest. "Please be careful today. I don't know why I feel like I have to say it, but I'd be annoyed with myself if I didn't. You'll be careful, right?"

"Always, sweetheart, always."

She smiles, "You said that before. A long time ago. Those exact words."

"I did?"

"Yep. The day we found out that bank was owned by the Russian businessman. I told you to stay safe."

"You truly are amazing, Dani. So beautiful and so amazing."

She blushes at my words, but reaches for my hand. Possibly as a thank you or maybe it's for my benefit, almost like a reward. As we step onto our floor, she keeps our fingers entwined and I bite back a groan. This woman will be the death of me. She's so beautiful and her new confidence is starting to drive me a little crazy. I would never admit that to her, but I can't help but think it.