Chapter Twenty-Seven: Hadleigh

ELENA

I was worried. And I was scared. Who were those people? How did they know where we were?

"Princess?"

Was Mother okay? How would they arrive at Hadleigh?

"Princess?" I felt a hand on my arm causing me to jump in fright. I whipped my head in the direction of the voice to see William looking at me, his eyebrows creased, a very worried expression on his face.

"Are you alright? You stopped responding to me the last 10 minutes." He asked me as he sat down beside me on the bed.

"I'm fine," I lied, faking a smile.

We had arrived at Hadleigh about an hour ago. Despite the walk from Celia to Hadleigh taking about four hours, being surrounded by nothing but bush, the moonlight the only light illuminating the way, and arriving past midnight, I couldn't sleep.

"Can I get you anything?" William questioned, still worried.

I shook my head and thanked him, before turning to face the open window once again.

William had told me what to expect; that Mother and the others would have to arrive before dawn. They couldn't run the risk of her being seen. We weren't to stay very long either. Once we'd hear report that Celia was somewhat safe again, we could return.

"Your Highness," I heard William say.

I turned my head to look at him. "Please," I started. "Call me Elena."

William bowed. "Then if I may, please call me Will."

I nodded once in response.

"There's a lot on your mind.. isn't there?" He asked apprehensively.

I looked away. I was in a very uncomfortable situation. I had never in my life shared a room with a man. On top of that, being vulnerable in front of someone I wasn't close to was something I wasn't at all used to.

I didn't know whether to stay silent, or to open up.

"Elena, it.." he paused. "It doesn't hurt to talk about it." He added.

I didn't meet his gaze. Something inside of me refused to. I simply sat there, my hands folded on my lap, looking out the window at the night sky.

After what seemed like forever, after battling with the voice in my mind, I opened my mouth.

"I'm scared." I revealed, my voice so quiet I couldn't even hear it.

I swallowed hard and fiddled with my fingers. Unexpectedly, Will didn't say anything.

I hesitantly turned to look at him, to see him looking at me, an ever so gentle look on his face. He simply smiled and nodded, as if encouraging me to go on.

I turned back to the window.

"I guess I'm scared.. of everything." I looked down at my hands, feeling somewhat ashamed of what had just come out of my mouth.

"I was scared a few hours ago, having to separate from Mother like that."

I looked back at Will. "I understand that you were only following orders. And I don't blame you for doing so, but.."

Once again I looked away. I pondered over whether to disclose next information I hadn't even revealed to Sam, or Alec for that matter. But I could feel a heavy weight on my chest as I contemplated holding it in. So I decided to let it all out.

"When Father passed away it was very unexpected." I looked down at my fingers as they involuntarily started picking at my nails. "I..I didn't even get to say goodbye."

Guardजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें