Escapism

Song: I Don't Wanna Talk (I Just Wanna Dance)

Artist, Year: Glass Animals, 2020 

-

"Please...don't leave me."

I stare into myself in the mirror while washing my hands at the sink of the dimly lit restroom. The music is faded, but still recognizable through the tile walls separating me from the dancefloor. I don't recognize the gaunt face or sunken eyes looking back at me.

Those worn human-esque orbs drift over to the lime green and black poster next to the paper towel dispenser. It reads "DARK DISCO" in gothic font, cartoonish ghosts and witches drawn in the background of the display.

How apropos.

The dark wooden door swings open and a few guys with neon windbreakers stumble in, laughing and punching each other on the way in. I flip up the collar on my faded bleached jean jacket, before retrieving a cigarette from the front left pocket to pop in the crook of my lips.

I feel like I'm walking on air, rejoining the music and flashing lights pulling the crowd closer and closer. Keeping my head down, I dodge anyone else's flirtatious gaze, brushing off a few finely manicured hands trying to grab for me as I move on through. I stop at the far wall, lightly chewing on my cigarette and fighting with the urge to light it already.

How many have I already had tonight? This pack barely lasted a day...

A smooth voice tickles my ear in time with the pulse of her breath. "Need a light?"

I shiver despite the body heat from the dancefloor and sweat trapped in my jean jacket. That voice. It can't be.

My head turns rigidly. This isn't how bones, ligaments, and muscles are supposed to move. The image my mind registers looks nothing like her and I exhale in relief, briefly licking the end of my cigarette.

Her platinum blonde hair falls around her face in voluminous curls and although the flame from that lighter looks dangerously close to those strands, she doesn't flinch. The reflection of the flame flickers in her sapphire eyes.

I relax my shoulders, reaching up to grab the cigarette to bring towards her. She beats me to it, leaning in and lighting it while it's in my mouth. "Thanks," I mumble out of a corner of my mouth. I doubt she can hear it over the song change.

She flips the lighter shut and hides it, along with both hands, in her black jacket pocket. "Sure thing. So you wanna dance?"

I take a long drag, watching the smoky mob of bodies on the dancefloor gyrate. That touch. That connection. I've been wanting it again for so long. And every time I try, it feels artificial.

"Or we can talk," she offers instead, leaning towards me with her hands still in her pockets.

Shaking my head, I adjust my collar again then wave to her to lead the way. "I don't come here for that."

"I didn't think so," she calls over her shoulder, pulling on my hand to follow her. We brush against each other - and others - in this dark disco. People pretending to be who they want to be. People drugged out of their minds to escape reality. People who are close, but not close enough.

I know which kind of person I am. I wonder which one she is. And what she wants with me.

She pulls us up in front of one of the giant speakers facing the dancefloor and raises both arms to the ceiling, starting to dance slowly before me. I feel every chemical in my body - natural and synthetic - fighting for dominance as I watch her. I can't identify why, but I get the distinct feeling that I can look but not touch.

The bass shakes my chest with every beat and I see flashes of that night between every synchronized strobe flash.

Her blood-stained hand reaching through the shards of the window at me.

The flames crackling and hungrily devouring the wood of the house.

My slick fingers fumbling with the keys on the keychain.

The song changes and the stage lights flicker, stunned gasps escaping the crowd. My cigarette falls out of my surprised mouth.

And I bolt. I don't know why.

Bumping against anybody, not even uttering a half-assed apology on my way, I claw through the sea of people until I slam my shoulder against the door to emerge into the soft drizzle of the early morning.

My breath comes out in foggy puffs and I dig desperately into my other pocket for the pills I hid in there. I fumble to open the lid and five of the white tablets fall to the damp ground before I can even curse.

"Rough life?"

I turn to see my blonde companion holding the door open and stepping out to join me. Her eyes are wide as she witnesses my panicked scene.

"What?" I cap the pill bottle, terrified to lose any more of the stash I worked so hard to get the past few months.

She steps toward me with uncertainty, pulling her coat closer around her chest. "Rough night?"

I put the bottle back in my jacket, closing my eyes and leaning my head back to catch some of the raindrops on my face. "Something like that. Why do you care?"

A pause stretches between us and I assume she's waiting for me to calm down. I run a hand through my hair, dispersing the water through the strands to cool my scalp. When I look up to find her gaze on me, I drop my hand limp to my side.

A dark, lopsided grin graces her fuschia pearlescent-sheened lips. "I wanted to see how you're living since killing me."

.

.

Author's Note:

This is probably the most recent song I have in this collection! When I first heard this song, the first thing that came to mind was wanting to escape something haunting you...and here is where it ended ;)

Clearly, I'm feeling the ooky, spooky, creepy fall vibes :) Please drop a comment with some other great Halloween vibe stories!

Thank you for reading! As always, I greatly appreciate your votes and comments